Sunday 21 June 2020

Thebans vs Thracians - posted by Josh Barton, 18 June 2020

Another week, another fun 240 pt game against Vince. This time Thebans vs Thracians, over a billiards table

The Thracians deployed a soft center with cavalry on the flanks, meanwhile the Thebans refused a flank, relying on the cavalry and psiloi (S) with (O) support to punch through the Thracian flank while the Hoplites held off the other commands as they arrived.

As things played out the Thracian light horse and Aux(S) managed to stop the Theban cavalry in their tracks. Meanwhile the Thracian psiloi directly in front of the Theban psiloi eventually died, but took a decent number of Thebans with them and held off long enough for the other commands to arrive.

The newly arrived central and left flank commands quickly broke the Theban psiloi command, which, coupled with a couple of kills on the cavalry command was enough to dishearten the Theban cavalry, who broke the bound after, giving the Thracians a comfortable victory.

Such marks the tenth straight loss for my Greeks, and I'd love any advice on how to make it work. I've got a game against Bruce on the weekend but I suspect after that I might retire the army for a while because I really can't seem to make it work.














Gerard Lelieveld Terrain terrain and more terrain?
  • Vincent Cholewa Gerard Lelieveld we each chose two 1/2FE gentle hills but only three stayed.
  • Josh Barton Normally I would - and I did think that a large difficult feature in the middle would have been useful, but I'd decided to try a really hard refused flank and I was too concerned about difficult terrain blocking both flanks.

    As it was the hill played more of a role than I'd anticipated, but even with the downhill +1 for my cav at times giving me 5 - 2 (with S) I wasn't doubling anything...
Vincent Cholewa Many thanks for the game and your great company, Josh. I don’t think the DBMM 200 format does hoplite armies any favours. I think full-sized games suit them better. The hoplites are just as solid but you get more supporting troops on bigger commands.
Vincent Cholewa No hoplites - not one - were hurt bringing you this game.
  • Andrew Bennetts Hi Josh Barton, armies reliant on Spear do struggle under DBMM. Spear is a good support provided you have other troops to strike with but its hard having to rely on Spear to win games on their own. Especially in the 200AP format where regular heavy infSee More
    • Josh Barton yeah I was thinking about the disadvantage of the regular troops at 200 yesterday. Oh well, I had a 400ap game today and the army performed... better

No comments:

Post a Comment