Sunday 14 June 2020

In memory of Brent Senior-Partridge - posted by Vince Cholewa, 13 June 2020

Very sad news. Our dear friend, Brent Senior-Partridge, died in Wellington Regional Hospital this morning. Brent had a stroke the previous week and had been in ICU. I understand his brother, Paul, was with him at the end. You are most welcome to comment here and make your own posts.

This photo is one of the ways I will choose to remember Brent, happily hanging out with his buddies, playing toy soldiers. The photo is from the Wellington Warlords when they still met at St Luke’s Church hall, Wadestown. I am pretty sure it was January 1983. Richard Adams is behind Brent.

I am not sure which army Brent was using but on the right are my, then brand new, Seleucids and those are the WRG 6th Edition rules for ancients on the table.




  • Philip Gates That is sad news indeed.
  • John van den Hoeven Not much i can say,he'll be missed 😞
  • Greg Jennings Terribly sad news. Brent was like a permanent fixture & presence in the NZ Wargaming community. He will be much missed.
  • Bruce Ferguson I worked with Brent off and on for a year or so at MFAT, he was always wanting to talk toy soldiers and he was very knowledgeable about our NZAID program having worked there for at least a decade I think. He'll be missed.
  • Bruce Ferguson Actually more like a couple of decades
  • Andrew Crampton Sad news indeed
  • David Billinghurst Brent's name was on the contact card for the Hamilton Wargames club when they had a display in a coin and stamp shop in Hamilton. This would be very early 80's when I would spend a school holiday visiting my grandma. I remember playing the boardgame Samurai with Brent and a couple of the Hamilton club members, and then later attending the Rally Point games convention. Through Brent, I met a couple of gamers who are still my best friends to this day. Thank you for your gentle enthusiasm, Brent.
  • Russell Briant B D Senior Partridge also worked 30 or so years at BNZ so for many years I saw Brent both at work and Wellington Warlords.

    I think for the first decade of my wargaming life in Wellington starting in 1985 Brent was the primary source of my figures (15mm Ancients). I’d be asked “what manufacture are those?” to which I’d have to answer “I don’t know, just some I picked up off Brent”.


    Sad day. So long BDSP.
  • Rob Shirley I'll inform the Immortals Club Members at Monday night's Club Night.
  • Rob Shirley Brent was one of the first two life-members of the club back in 1997. We got a new constitution back that included to right to appoint Life Membersat that time Anyone got a contact for the family?.
  • Alastair Duncan His brother Paul may appreciate txt messages to 0212549477.
  • John Way Brent, I first met you in 1979. I was attending Rallypoint as an impressionable teenager. I recall we rallied at your garage to be
    allocated to billets. Mine was with David Brasting, leading to a lifelong friendship. I remember looking around the gar
    age filled with assorted scratchbuilt scenery and wargaming paraphernalia and thinking- truly this is the house of a god of the Table.

    Although we met and conversed many times in the intervening 40 years nominally as equal adults, I never forgot that first impression and never ceased to be a little in awe of you.

    Truly, a mighty totara has fallen in the forest. Aue,aue,aue.

    This one is for you

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhdFe3evXpk
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    YOUTUBE.COM
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
  • John van den Hoeven Nicely put John.A real nice guy and always fun to play.
  • Alastair Donald What to say? I too have known Brent for decades, and have drifted in and out of playing his favourite ancients period. I well remember sharing motel rooms in New Plymouth due to our ability to serenade the evening with our snoring, like two bull elephant seals on the Patagonian foreshore. Many other war gamers were driven to flee the locality, in one spectacular case, dragging their mattress into the toilet in a pathetic attempt to flee, what can only be described, as vocal forces of nature. Brent was such a pleasant, gentle chap who always had a little scheme up his sleeve for whatever army he was using (camels in sand dunes leaps to mind). While we haven’t played in recent years I shall miss my snoring buddy dearly.
    • Alastair Mundell And was that at the New Plymouth Octoberash when you two fine gents + 2 lead Armies crashed to the floor when the trestle rope gave way under the combined weight of you both leaning on the table?....
    • John van den Hoeven I remember that well,i think thats when Alastair also put his car in a ditch on his way there 🤔
Alastair Duncan His brother says they are thinking of some sort of memorial service in Wgtn in the first week of august . Details in due course

1 comment:

  1. The person who taught me, mentored me and gave me the passion to play - I remember many 2-3 hour phone calls when I first started, armies loaned out and Saturday evenings with Brent and Richard Mason playing Mah Jong... One of the best and kindest people out there.
    Greg Rae

    ReplyDelete