Monday 30 August 2021

Figures for Sassanid Daylami Royal Bodyguard? Asked by Steven Hill 28 August 2021

Sassanid Daylami Royal Bodyguard Reg Bd(F) 0-8
Book 2/69 has an entry for the above but I'm struggling to work out suitable figures. Khusrau II evidently had a bodyguard of Byzantines given to him by Maurice but clearly that isn't Daylami. I've heard of Daylami bodyguards for local Sassanid Governors. Normal Daylami seem to be javelin wielding Aux, and so are Byzantines spear wielding. I'm a bit stuck figuring out where I should be looking for suitable figures for Bd(F).

Anyone been there before and figured out a solution? 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/1879527655540151/


Allen Yaxley
Go to Footsore Miniatures, they have armies of the Caliphates.
Beautiful figures and outstanding in representing troop types.
I think Hutt club has a discount scheme. John van den Hoeven can confirm.
1
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 2d
  • Edited
  • Steven Hill
    I have been looking at them however everywhere I look they seem to be bigger than Aventine which is what I have ordered for my cav. Is that correct?
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Steven Hill
    Mind you I haven't bought any foot yet.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • John van den Hoeven
    Footsore are really nice figures,ive used them in my Samanid army including a Dailami ally.Highly recommended though I dont know how they compare to Aventine They're compatible with Gripping Beast which I also used for the Samanids.I don't know if our discount is going anymore.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Edited
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Allen Yaxley
    Size isn’t important, just look at your average wargamer, or a not so average wargamer. Astrix was short but rotund. ðŸ¥º
    2
    • Haha
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
Andrew Bennetts
Hi Steven Hill, Aventine Miniatures (https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/.../inde.../cPath/53_89_131) have an excellent Late Sassanid range that includes three packs of armoured spearmen that might do the trick. SASS32, 33 & 34 are the pack codes to… 
See More
1
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 2d
  • Edited
  • Ben Vartok
    Andrew Bennetts Aventine also are usually on the bigger side, sometimes even oversized depending on the pack and range. So wouldn't be any problem with the Footsore mixing. Plus Keith is very happy to change shields as you require. I have just ordered unarmored pike with Carthaginian heads and Hoplons , 2 variations from the standard configuration of the pack.


Steven Hill
After some research I've thought I might go with Gripping Beast using a combination of
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SZ11_Harald_Hardraddas... with a little greenstuff turbans on one or two figures and black beards, and
I would use same shields and transfers as the Muttawwis Fanatics which are actually from the Rus range.
I am thinking they will have a hint of Byzantine about them which I am happy with given the history.
SZ11 Harald Hardradda's Varangian Guard (4)
GRIPPINGBEAST.CO.UK
SZ11 Harald Hardradda's Varangian Guard (4)
SZ11 Harald Hardradda's Varangian Guard (4)
2
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 22h
  • Steven Hill
    Taken the plunge - free delivery for orders greater than 150 pounds is an incentive
    Picked up my daylami Aux(S) and my LH(F) as well as transfers
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 7h
Steven Hill
Allen - did you see my Message to you?
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 22h

No comments:

Post a Comment