Sunday 22 August 2021

Any success with mounted infantry? Asked by Petrer Dunn, 19 August 2021

Anybody had much success with Mounted Infantry? 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/1873026056190311/

  • Neil Williamson
    If you include riding them down with Hun light horse, yes.
    5
    • Haha
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
  • John Edmundson
    I'm tempted to get them for my Andalusians, so I can flank march a wholly mounted command that includes infantry. I haven't found any (15mm) figures I'm happy with yet though.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
  • Craig Mabon
    I've used them on occasion for the Viking ally (Bd(O)/Bd(I)) in my Pre-Feudal Scots army, mainly to deploy them out on the flank (and give more room in the centre for all the spearmen (Pk(F)). My Assyrians have mandatory kallipani (2x Ax(S), 2x Ps(O) on carts) that are part of my cavalry command, and have proved useful at providing infantry to contest terrain that can keep up with the cavalry. Actually AX and Ps are as fast as my chariots anyway so keeping up is not that much of an issue. I suspect the usefulness is in part determined by the type of infantry being mounted.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
    • John Gildea
      Craig Mabon a question on these, I’m building an Assyrian army at the moment. In the lists the 2 Kallapini minimum I take to mean 1 carries an element of Aux(S) and the other Ps(O) or does each Kallapini carry one of each? Ta!
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 3d
      • Edited
    • Craig Mabon
      Yes the Kallapani are like the Kisir Sharruti and the Sab Sharri - half are Ax and half are Ps. So the minimum of 2 elements of Kallapani is one element of Ax(s) and one of Ps(O). The cart models take up more space than the two unmounted elements, at l… 
      See More
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 3d
Vincent Cholewa
Admin
Reg mtd Bw(S) are lethal.
1
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 3d
  • Tilman Dang
    Vincent Cholewa i second that, used in conjunction with good horse they where great in the past, I played a few of them in my burgundian ordonance all the time with great effect. That was dbm, but I think its still true.
  • Philip Gates
    I used to use them in my Comnenan Byzantine army. The Varangians could be mounted. Very useful in their own command especially, but good as part of another command.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 3d
  • Kevin McCarthy
    New Zealand, Sinai. 1917.
    4
    • Haha
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 3d
    • Tilman Dang
      Kevin McCarthy yes! A little less useful later in war, they need space to operate efficiently....
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 3d
    • Rob Shirley
      And the Aussies were there. Walked the "Non-built-on" bits of the ground at Beersheba three years ago. The NZ Bde role in taking those 8? Maxims out that enfilade position that dominated the ground that the Aussie charged over looked absolutely critical to me.
Alastair Duncan
Handy when you need to get there "firstist with the mostest" but on 25mm boards you could walk and save the cost of a horse.... have you seen the price of hay, let alone the emissions!!!!!
2
  • Haha
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 3d

No comments:

Post a Comment