Sunday 12 June 2022

Should a landsknecht general be at the front? Asked by Julian Hannam, 10 June 2022

I’m putting together a Landsknecht force to plug into various Late Book 4 options. I Have a question about PIke Generals. Do folk add them to the standard 4 element blocks or have them floating about reading the tea leaves behind? Or within a block? Ah so many questions… 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2088128524680062/

  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    I use the early options from the Seleucid list in book 2. Your question was never asked by a Greek or Hellenistic general (Romans don’t count!). Generals were at the front. I put the argyraspid general at the front in the centre of 12 Pk(S), including his own element.
    In my Early Imperial Roman army, generals don’t lead from the front because they didn’t.
    So, historically, where were landsknecht generals?
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Keith V Trye
    I would have him as a floater, as he is only PK O? And a bit fagile if in combat or shot at.
    Plus being 4+ ranks back he can move around, not constrained by enemy zones of control.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Potbelly Miniatures
    i tend to leave them a few rows back in my selecuids. just seemed prudent
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Edited
  • John Edmundson
    My Ptolemaic Pk(o) general tends to hide in the back because I'm a cowa..., I mean he's being sensible. :^)
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Julian Hannam
    Author
    Thanks Gents, all helpful!
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Bruce Ferguson
    4th rank, or if warband around 3rd rank
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Kevin O'Kane
    If the general is not in the front rank, cannot add the usual +1.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 1d


No comments:

Post a Comment