Sunday, 6 September 2026

Where it all began for me, Airfix - posted by Vince Cholewa, 5 September 2026

This wonderful book arrived in the post yesterday as a early Fathers Day present- thank you so much Mim Cholewa. Hugely nostalgic. The author is obviously passionate about Airfix and the model making, toy soldier playing thing we did, as well as being a good writer.
This really is where my model making and wargaming started. At the Party Time shop in Wellington, now sadly long gone, where I bought my first ever kit and 1/72 scale polythene toy soldiers. By happy coincidence my first kit was the first kit Airfix made, the Golden Hind, then still sold in a plastic bag with the instructions folded inside the label stapled to the bag. My first box of toy soldiers was the US Cavalry set and my first wargames were American Civil War playing against my brother on the dining table. Later, came ancients - my first two games were WRG 5th edition, of course including Airfix Romans. Fond memories of very happy days and a book to treasure 💕

 

The book. I love it.

1949, Airfix made tractor models as a marketing tool for Ferguson salesman. 1952, the first kit, Golden Hind, was sold through Woolworths national chain.

My first wargaming was American Civil War using Airfix sets. Later I started ancients - WRG 5th edition and Airfix Romans.

There were the Robin Hood and Sheriff of Nottingham sets. I did not have these but they were useful for many armies.

The Roman fort. I also did not have this but there were several at wargaming clubs in New Zealand










No comments:

Post a Comment