Bugger! We have lost another comrade. Such sad news. Our dear friend Alastair Donald died in Auckland Hospital today after a long struggle with more than one debilitating condition. At one stage, Alastair and I (and his Irish wolfhound, Cian) flatted together in Stokes Valley, during which time we played many games and plotted many cunning plans. I miss him very much, as I know you do too. Funeral details are still to be confirmed and I will post them when I can.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/3438977792928455/
 |
| Alastair (top right) was part of the Wellington Warlords team that won the Australian competition in 1993. |
 |
| Alastair in corporate mode. He worked for the Office of the Auditor General, PWC and others. |
Alastair Donald Christmas 25 with his beloved Greyhounds
Adrian Phillips thank you so much. This is a wonderful pic. Greyhounds themselves and the programme to rehome them as pets were so important to Alastair. A real passion for him

I recall how he bought his ghetto blaster to an Easter Natcon and played Ride of the Valkyries every time his helicopter gunships attacked.
Stephen Ladányi I did similar with my Maoris. Played a Haka for my opponents and everyone else in earshot....
Dave Madigan I knew of someone who played 'The immigrant Song' every time he deployed his Viking longships.
Oh man, very sad news. He was an AWC stalwart and always so friendly. Sparta!
Ben Vartok I always associate Spartan armies with Al.
So tragic

I was texting him just yesterday and he seemed in good spirits and looking forward to receiving the new DBMM lists
Gutting. Lost a friend, a fellow grouch, just such a big part of our hobby.
Two Alastairs in one year. Too many.
Such sad news, Sparta will never be the same.
So sorry to hear this sad news today.
Very sad.I always enjoyed our chats and games

That's very sad news. He was an institution in the hobby :^(
Yeah

I remember that flat and hound. Known Al many many years. An incisive mind, a big heart for people and dogs, and a shrewd wargamer. Sad

His sharp wit and big personality will be missed. Henry Tudor will remain the unchallenged DBMM Under the Mountain champion.
A moving tribute to Alastair from Greyhounds as Pets
One of wargaming's characters that filled up a room! He'll be missed
Used to flat with me in Palmerston North days of Miniature Strategists
Cripes you young fellas were at real (not Jafa) Massey. I spent a few happy years there. 1980. I was in Epsom (yeh Jafaland), my teacher training.
No comments:
Post a Comment