Sunday 22 May 2022

Landsknechts: which army to use: Asked by Julian Hannam, 20 May 2022

Late Medieval Army advice sought Gents. Thanks to Mighty Ape's sale I have landed a bunch of Warlord Landschnects. I'm anticipating I will be able to field 24 or so elements of PkO and as many crossbow or ShI or PsS that I could ever want.
So the question is which list has most playing potential, Ordonnance Frogs or Burgs, Medieval Germans? It seems that Burgundians get most in numbers of Pk and Shot but have virtually no mounted that isn't KnO or S.
I saw at least one Landschnect collection at Greymouth. Any ideas for a workable, reasonably rounded PkO heavy army?

My intention is to 'top it up' with Perry "European Armies" and WOTR figs. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2071983856294529/


  • John Edmundson
    Medieval Germans chortle chortle . . .
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    What about Italians with Landsknecht mercenaries?
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Julian Hannam
      Author
      Vincent Cholewa yes true, Milan. And some Kn(S) and up to 12 ShI no doubt other options inside that ball of string list too
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
  • Philip Gates
    Italian Condotta get Landsknechts in the Milanese option.
    That's a reasonably balanced option.
    Of course button counters like me will tell you that the Warlord Games Landsknechts look nothing like what early 16th century Landsknechts would have looked like.
    But you can ignore me.
    • Wow
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Edited
    • Craig Mabon
      Philip Gates Do they look like what popular history pretends they look like? The reason I ask is that I've been working on Warlord Games Spartans and I've painted them much like the box art, only to discover that really the lambda insignia wasn't that widespread and (for the period I'm doing - 479 BC) hey probably wore Corinthinian helmets. On the other hand, they look like what people expect Spartans to look like (rightly or wrongly).
      No photo description available.
      2
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
      • Philip Gates
        Craig Mabon the Warlord Games Landsknechts look like their counterparts from closer to the middle of the century.
        Early Landsknechts looked pretty much the same as early Swiss.
        The Schilling Chronicles are contemporary drawings
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 2d
      • Potbelly Miniatures
        Craig Mabon i've finished reading "The Bronze Lie", and there's apparently nothing true in popular culture about the Spartans but for the blue-on-blue action
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 2d
      • Craig Mabon
        Potbelly Miniatures At least my Spartans are wearing tunics and (mostly) armour.😀😀😀Also useful to paint them in a distinctive style when the army (the Greeks at Plataea in 479BC) also includes allied Greeks (Athenians and Corinthians mainly). Easy visual recognition is always useful (which is why my Spartiates have red lambda and my perioiki have white lambda, and the generals have black lambda).
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 2d
      • Potbelly Miniatures
        Craig Mabon I do the same with my Etruscans. Saves confusion on my part, and frustration on my opponents...
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 2d
    • Vincent Cholewa
      Admin
      Group expert
      Philip Gates we would never ignore you!
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
  • Josh Barton
    Not an answer, but Burgundians' lack of cavalry is partially offset with the mounted bw - this gives you width and maneuverability (and killing power, hey Vincent Cholewa ðŸ˜‰).
    Also the later list (Max von Haps) can be an ally for the German list and is really a separate list that could be used for German, Swiss or Italians so it gives you options (just don't paint them uniform like I did!)
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Edited
  • Gerard Lelieveld
    I've got them with my war of the roses
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Bruce Ferguson
    These figures are also good for Swiss. I mixed in some spare Perry's heads so there were more helmets and less feathered caps
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Gary Lewis
    French ordonnance is a very strong list. I think its the only one
    I never lost a game with.


No comments:

Post a Comment