Monday 4 July 2022

More DBMM 100 in Masterton - posted by Craig Mabon, 28 June 2022

On Sunday at the Masterton Marauders we had a mini-DBMM100 comp, and I took the opportunity to unveil my Greeks. Here are some pictures of their initial deployment against Neil Williamson's Huns - an intriguing match-up of all mounted (Light Horse and Fast baggage) against all foot. When we called time I gained a 14-11 win. The second game against Rex Fowler's 100 years War English ended up 22-3 in the Greeks' favour. So a good initial outing. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2101752743317640/

Spartans with helots in rough going on the flanks. Red lambda for the Spartiates, black lambda for Pausanias, and white lambda for the perioiki (all hand-painted).

Clearer view of the Greek left flank showing the allied Athenians


Helots on the difficult hill

Close-up of the Athenians. Thanks to Wayne Watts for the idea of the brightly-coloured shields

  • Phil Malthus
    Nice work. Shame about the Lakedaimonians, but too good to resist, in more ways than one
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
  • John Edmundson
    So, Reg Sp(S) are the super troops of DBMM :^D
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
    • Phil Malthus
      Remember, only Good Men with Sp(S) can stop Bad Men with Sp(S), as the Hypaspists will ever remind you*
      *possibly I've been living in the USA too long
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 6d
      • Craig Mabon
        Author
        Phil Malthus Hypaspists are either Ax(S) or Pk(S). The Pk(S) are a worry for the Spartans. Knights are also a concern. On Sunday the only Knights I faced were English mounted Men-at-Arms (Kn(I)). While I don't get a Superior bonus in combat, his Inferior status cost Rex at least one element of Knights.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
      • Alastair Donald
        Craig Mabon why didn’t he get off his horses and eat you alive as BdS? Quick kill and S breaks the tie. Lots of dead Spartiates.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
      • Craig Mabon
        Author
        Alastair Donald Actually he tried to have a bob each way. Half his Men-at-Arms were mounted and half dismounted. The problem was that he was a factor down and couldn't roll better than I did. He was also severely outnumbered: I had 28 elements on the t… 
        See more
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
    • Craig Mabon
      Author
      John Edmundson The real advantage they have in DBMM100 is that they are relatively cheap 2 ME elements (7 AP). LH(S) found them a challenge frontally - big surprise there. Against the 100 years War English, I lost Pausanias to a Knight charge, but that… 
      See more
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 6d
      • Craig Mabon
        Author
        Actually the (S) doesn't help my survival does it. Looking back, it was probably better dice-rolling that saved me.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
      • Alastair Donald
        Craig Mabon yes, but the S will make it more likely to kill a Bd in your bound if you throw high and he throws low. But as the S breaks the tie in his bound he will quick kill on a tie. Happens enough for it to hurt. I wouldn’t ride Reg KnI into Sp0 or S. I have Spartans and WotR
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
      • Craig Mabon
        Author
        Alastair Donald One of the factors in DBMM100 is that you have so many fewer troops so luck can play a more significant part. Where the Spartans were fighting dismounted men-at-arms I rolled well in his bound(s) and survived without loss - over a half-dozen or so rolls in a situation where I die a bit over 40% of the time. I should have lost 2-3 of the rolls but I didn't, and I'll admit I was gambling on getting other hoplites into the flank of the Bd(S) which I managed in my bound. My opponent (from memory) only has a DBMM100 100 Years English Army and is somewhat constrained by his available figure mix - I don't know that he has the figures to dismount all his men-at-arms, so he was somewhat on a hiding to nothing.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
  • James Davies
    Well done Craig - nice looking army. I guess the moral is "beware of Greeks bearing spears".
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
    • Craig Mabon
      Author
      James Davies It's not a great army in the larger AP games as it has no mounted troops and is vulnerable to Knight armies and blade armies. Pike armies also are a concern, but there at least you do have a lot of psiloi. In DBMM 100, however, I deployed … 
      See more
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 6d
    • James Davies
      Don't the lists just scale - so your ME advantage should carry through proportionally to larger games ?
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 6d
      • Craig Mabon
        Author
        James Davies Only kind of. The big difference is that in DBMM100 Generals do not cost anything other than the base troop type (unless Brilliant or Inert). Therefore you more troops and thus more ME (relatively speaking) in DBMM100. The normal ME value in DBMM100 is in the early 20s. Ross Mabon using my Scots on Sunday had an army with 26ME. Rex's 100 Years War English had 23ME. I can't give you figures for the 100 Years War English as Rex doesn't have a 450AP Army, but in 450AP the Scots come to 104.5ME while the Spartans come to 128.5ME. The ME advantage in DBMM100 is 1.31 times (26 to 34) whereas in 450AP it is 1.23 times. So yes, the Spartans have an advantage but it is smaller in the larger AP games.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
    • James Davies
      Craig Mabon Thanks. Had my first DBMM game on Sunday - DBMM 200, where generals cost half the extra of tge full game. My medieval French vs Joel McNelly's 100 years war English. Losing a few of Kn elements @ 2ME each to longbows took my army out, but only just - he was 1 ME in either command away from his army breaking...



No comments:

Post a Comment