Sunday 10 July 2022

DBMM 200: Yorkists vs Medieval Franch - posted by Joel McNelly, 9 July 2022

DBMM 200 at the Dury club against James Davies.
My Yorkists vs his medieval French.
Round 1 my plan was to set up up a table with secured flanks like Agincort or Crecy as that worked historically against the French.
Big problem is in a battle where you only have to go forward that's the one thing French knights are good at and WOTR don't have as many longbows.
The French screened their knights with bowmen to shield them from the English longbows and attacked.
I rolled poorly in the bow shootout and lost some critical stands of longbows. My lines became disrupted then the French knights came charging through the archers and smashed into my disordered lines and quickly overwhelmed them. The game was a decicive French victory.
Round 2 I positioned my terrain features better. I extended my lines in front of a wood and planned to hold my right flank back, wheel my left and try to draw them into a crossfire.
The French occupied the wood with archers and organised a column of knights to ride round the wood and attack my flank.
I decided to try to exploit the fact the French plan required a lot of pips by dismounting my CnC and knights and attacking the wood, hoping to take the position before the French knights came round my left flank.
The French were short on pips and made a poorly co-ordinate attack on my right which took heavy casualties from bow and cannon fire. The game looked like it was in the bag until the flanking French knights got themselves organised and rode down my CnC who didnt make the sprint to to wood in time. By killing him and one stand of men at arms it made my left flank one stand off breaking.
I won the game but my decision to dismount the CnC and run across the table almost cost me the game.
Lesson for today: when there are French knights around don't get your general off his horse and try to run across the field in full plate!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2110438552449059/

[Admin: A few pics from Joel's post. Heaps more on Facebook.]






  • Russell Briant
    Thanks for the battle reports.
    I think War of the Roses knights can chose to dismount during the game. So, you could have ridden your Chief across the to the woods then dismounted once in the woods. Good plan none-the-less.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 1d
    • Joel McNelly
      Author
      Russell Briant I started mounted then dismounted. I had 6 pips that turn (2 per Knight). I dismounted early bacause I didn't want to get caught under bow fire infornt of the woods on my horses with no pips later.....
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 1d
  • Jose Garcia
    Hello, really a nice thing with dbmm 200, not so many minis. Can you put in a sample list of both poor, I would be interested in the cost of the generals. Greeting
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 19h
    • Joel McNelly
      Author
      Jose Garcia I can't speak for the French but I was running:
      Cnc knO
      Ally General knO
      2x KnI
      8 Bw S
      6 BdO
      2 Art I
      2 Cv O
      3 Pk F
      2 Ps S
      My Cnc was 22 points
      My ally general was 17 points
      My list was organised with the ally general commanding: 2Cv, 4Bw, 3Bd. Wverything else under the Cnc.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 19h
      • Edited
    • James Davies
      Jose Garcia Medieval French Bk 4 List 64:
      May be an image of text that says 'Troops CinC Sub Gen Nobles Knights French Crossbow Brigans Ribauds Archers Camp Totals: Type IrT Kn(S) Irr Kn(S) Irr Kn(S) Iா Kn(0) Reg Bw(1) Reg Bd() Ax(1) Irr Bw(1) rT Bge(O) 29 Pts Ea Num 17 1 17 1 12 2 10 9 4 5 4 2 2 1 3 6 2 2 200 Points 05588 17 17 24 90 20 2 18'
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 17h
    • James Davies
      The rule changes for the 200 point game are on page 48 of the soft-cover version of DBMM 2.1. Basically, smaller table size with corresponding changes to terrain rules and deployment zones, halve (round up) the minima and maxima from lists, 9except gen… 
      See more
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 16h
  • Geoff Rothwell
    Interesting pics! I very much like 200 points as an army size.
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 19h
    • Joel McNelly
      Author
      Geoff Rothwell yes we are really enjoying it. As this was 9nly our 3rd game the smaller size is particularly good as we learn the rules.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 19h
  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    Superior knights rock. Vive la France!
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 19h



No comments:

Post a Comment