Wednesday 13 November 2019

Hong Kong DBMM competition, New Kingdom Egyptians vs Thracians - posted by Dirk Heinsius, 11 November 2019

Third game on the Sunday morning against Joon Nak Choi using Lowland Thracians. This looked to be a real uphill battle for the Egyptians. I defended with a BUA on my right, with the Egyptian Psiloi who were suppose to hold the flank (and didn't), and in the centre I had Wb(F) vs Ax(S), where I expected to lose but didn't 
It was a hard slog and in the closing stages of the game I disheartened the Ax(S) in the centre, lost a command on my right wing, but caught Joon's LH napping on my left, which brought the game back into balance.
14-11 to the Thracians when time was called, but it could have gone either way in the next few bounds.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1334537770039145/


Dirk Heinsius Wb(F) vs Psiloi(S) what a waste
1

Dirk Heinsius Light Horse caught napping
2
  • Joon Nak Choi It was a great game. I should have never been in a position where a 1 vs. 6 roll on PIP dice would have put my poor light horses in this situation! Glad I got just enough of them out...just barely!
Andreas von Dbx should have reacted in the previous bound
1
Hide 13 Replies
  • Andreas von Dbx lack of march blockers may also got yourself threw off balance
    1
  • Joon Nak Choi Agree -- I was thinking that the LH block was being so effective at being bait where I was like "oh -- I can't possibly roll a 1". Ken was very correctly giving me grief about it later on because I really should have pulled back the previous turn. At tSee More
  • Andreas von Dbx if the enemy are not moving straight ahead only at that bound, only the final move can enter your non march blockers' 400paces.
    If you allocate them the 2nd highest dice, unlikely to got 1 pip for 2 consecutive bounds.
    1
  • Andreas von Dbx let's play in Tiger Room later this month.
    1
  • Dirk Heinsius Andreas von Dbx the Tharcians had an irregular command structure and were facing my high pip command. I just had to sit and wait until the dice were right for the attack
    2
  • Joon Nak Choi Andreas von Dbx the point you raised is a good one -- it was all a blur so I reviewed game pictures. Sequence went like this:

    1. I rolled a 1.
    See More
  • Andreas von Dbx Joon Nak Choi
    As rightly pointed out by Dirk, I forgot to consider your irregular command difficulty. I largely agree with your analysis subject to you satisfying that there isn't any enemy flank march. Further, as an initial deployment, your Napoleo
    See More
    1
  • Joon Nak Choi Andreas von Dbx Thanks -- and regarding initial deployment it was a problem with my command structure. I had 4 commands with one tiny one designed for a flank march which I ended up not using because of its unreliability. Had I balanced the commands I wouldn't have had this problem.

    Something I'll try out with the Tiger Room Class B tournament!
  • Kenneth Chan Joon Nak Choi that is for me he he
    1
  • Joon Nak Choi Kenneth Chan You sure had a good time watching me blunder through that sequence! Thanks again for organizing :)
  • Dirk Heinsius If those Light horse had expanded out I would never have gone in. You would have had enough elements to plug any gaps. Half my chariots were ordinary so only 1 up on you. All in all far too risky
    2
  • Joon Nak Choi Thanks - makes it clear what I should have done with that 1!
Zach Russell Thracians didnt go so well JC?
1
Hide 14 Replies
Dirk Heinsius My defense of the BUA

Dirk Heinsius My lack of defense of the BUA

Dirk Heinsius Bw(I) eyeing up the Light Horse
1


Dirk Heinsius Ally command of Ax(S) advancing bravely towards my noble Bw(I)


Joon Nak Choi NK Egyptians vs. Thracians was a horrible match-up for you and you did well to make it so that it could have very easily gone either way. On one hand, I was quite happy with how I went through the BUA with my light troops! On the other hand...the LH caSee More
1
  • Dirk Heinsius Both my match-ups yesterday were bad. I expected to lose in the BUA, but not quite that fast :-(
    Great game though full of challenges. I suspect no one in HK has seen my form of NKE before with Wb, Bd, and Bw(I) up front as a screen.
    We definitely need another game the next time I'm in HK.
    1
  • Joon Nak Choi Stay safe today. Things are a bit...crazy. You may need to avoid Hang Hau.
  • Dirk Heinsius Joon Nak Choi just left Tseung Kwan-O for the airport and things are pretty clear
    1
  • Joon Nak Choi Safe travels
    1

No comments:

Post a Comment