Saturday 23 November 2019

A question about upgrading generals - posted by Vince Cholewa, 24 November 2019

A question about upgrading generals. I had lunch with a friend during the week and he asked me a question - I thought I knew the answer but now I am not sure. The main body of each list describes the C-in-C and often includes "Sub-general - as above". What happens if in part of the list the C-in-C changes but there is no reference to sub-generals changing? Your thoughts please.
For example, in the Later Polish list (book 4/66) the C-in-C starts as Irr Kn(S) and the next line states "sub-general - as above 1-2". Later, the list includes "Only after 1454: upgrade Polish C-in-C to Reg Kn(S) @ 35AP 0-1". That later part of the list makes no reference to upgrading the sub-generals. So, what does "as above" now mean - the sub-generals are as the line is written at the top of the list (i.e. Irr Kn(S)) or as line has become with the upgrade (Reg Kn(S))?
I had drawn up my list as having a regular C-in-C and irregular sub-generals. However, if the C-in-C is regular and the "as above" relates to the C-in-C as upgraded, they must be regular.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1347388665420722/


Philip Gates Doesn't that depend on whether or not your upgrade of the C-in-C is optional or compulsory?
If compulsory then it applies to any sub-generals I would have thought. If optional, then not to the subs.
But I'm no expert.
1
Russell Briant Nah.
The ‘as above’ is a typesetting saving and only applies to what’s above.
See More
1
  • Vincent Cholewa Thank you. That logic makes sense and fits the history that is being represented.


No comments:

Post a Comment