Saturday 23 November 2019

Slingshot - posted by Vince Cholewa, 19 November 2019

Slingshot: Thank you to Gary Lewis for passing this bundle of Slingshot magazines onto me. I am thoroughly enjoying the issue I have started, number 238. In particular, I am taken by an article on Procopius and the importance of rhetoric in how accounts were written and to the progression of a career in politics, the first part of a previously unpublished series by Tony Bath and references to various rules sets of the day that have now pretty much disappeared.
Does anyone subscribe to Slingshot today? I am wondering what you think of it. I subscribed many years ago and stopped when it become less informative to me, and the editor at that time seemed to have taken against Phil Barker and WRG. This bundle from Gary is nothing like that and seem quite amenable to DBM, as it was then.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1341924899300432/



Denis Grey
 Yes Vince. I do. I even had a short piece in it myself last year. But, with that exception, it is a very good publication and the writing is of a high standard - and these days it's in colour.

If you want idea of the sort of topics it covers, have 
a look at the Society of Ancients website (www.soa.org.uk). If you want a better idea, you can buy a single copy of one of the recent issues for a fiver (although the cost of postage to NZ might be a bit daunting). Or you could take out a year's subscription for £27 and get the next six issues post free.
Home
SOA.ORG.UK
Home
Home
1

No comments:

Post a Comment