Thursday, 23 July 2026

Franconian Open 2026 - shared by Lorricount Du Ho 21 July 2026

Lorricount Du Ho added photos to the album: Tournament report: Franconian Open 2026 (by Arnim von Luck) 

Lots more pics at ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/3369734356519466

Tournament report: Franconian Open 2026
This year's Franconian Open theme was Arabian (K)nights: Tales from Scheherazade. The allowed lists were quite generous, even allowing sub-Saharan countries like Sudan to participate.
So I used almost the same list I had originally planned to play at the Swabian Open (I didn't get to play back then because we had an odd number of players). I fielded the state of Bornu: lots and lots of Kenembu Spears (I), many Zagi Skirmishers (I) and Yam Baka Skirmishers (O), Yan Kwarbai Cavalry (O), and Light Horsemen (LH). All irregular, of course. To add some firepower, I included a Tuareg general with four Iaggharen camel riders and four wild cattle herds as Expendables. As a defensive measure, I packed four concealable obstacles.
The army was organized into four commands:
CinC ICvO with 5 cavalry ICvO, 8 light cavalry ILHO, Zagi IPsI supporting the cavalry, and the cows IExpO;
a sub-general SG ICvO with 15 spearmen ISpO, 5 Psiloi (O) IPsO, 4 cavalry ICvO with Zagi IPsI, and 2 light cavalry ILHO;
a second sub-general ICvO with 12 spearmen ISpO, three Yam Fate-Fate Bd(I) IBdI, two cavalry ICvO with Zagi IPsI, and the obstacles;
and the Tuareg allies with 4 ICm(S).
The idea: First, hope for bad weather for the enemy, for example, muddy ground for knights. Then, engage the enemy's cavalry in three waves: first Expendables, then Tuareg, then cavalry. To make this work, I'm using the unusual Troops Stratagem. This allows me to deploy the Expendables after I've seen the enemy army. The Kenembu apply pressure so the opponent can't reinforce the attacked flank. I protect weak points in my formation (e.g., open flanks) with obstacles. This year, each army got an additional hero: Mine was "Sahara Jones," who wasn't currently on an excavation expedition and was accompanying the king on his campaign to Herzogenaurach. Carlos had once again put an incredible amount of effort into the preparation: Each player received a hero element, the rules, and dice. The trophies were little magic lamps. Everything was done with great care!



  • Game 1 against the Sung Chinese under Emperor Carl
    The Sung Chinese are quite dangerous for the Sudanese forces. Their mixed bow/spear formations are almost impossible for my cavalry to defeat. The plan was to force the Sung to move, and then I would attack their cavalry, ideally with several waves.
    Carl immediately thwarts this with an unusual deployment: Against my right flank are Bow X/O reinforced with artillery and Blades; in the center is cavalry in two groups, one behind the other; and against my left flank is infantry again. Hmmm.
    So then: Expendables, Tuareg, and the cavalry from the infantry commandos move into the center, and my main cavalry goes to the far left.

    The Sung are moving their heavy (S) cavalry to the left, and then later their regular (O) cavalry. A gap remains in the center. That's where my Expendables are aiming. The maneuver is quite slow; these cattle herds are not easy to control.

    At least I'm drawing his cavalry to the left. Carl clearly has the upper hand there now. So, attack the Chinese center! Ideally without him shooting everything down.

    25 players, what a great turnout. Well done all 😊





    No comments:

    Post a Comment