Sunday 25 July 2021

Winter Cup: Medieval Polish vs Ottoman Turks - posted by Vince Cholewa, 25 July 2021

Big thank you to Gary Lewis for organising the Winter Cup at the Hutt Valley Wargaming Club yesterday and on August 14. It was a pleasure to play Barry Norris using his Ottoman Turks against my Medieval Polish. I had not played Barry before and found he is a real gentleman 😊 We used 400 army points and I used four commands. The hills on the left are gentle, the only other terrain was roads, and a strong wind was blowing disadvantaging Barry’s archery. We ended with a draw 14-11 in my favour.
I planned to delay on my left with some Tartar light horse and Polish cavalry who would fall back, with that command’s reserve of knights held well back and towards the centre. I would push forward on my right with my CnC’s and another command supported by my one organ gun making a nuisance of itself on the “corner” of Barry’s army. A small Lithuanian command was flank marching on my left.
As it played out the Lithuanians rolled 6 on the first bound and arrived on the second. The “delaying” command, instead, moved forward to catch the Turkish right from two sides. I used my re-roll token to save one of the Tartars at the end of the line nearest the approaching Lithuanians. This helped to make it more difficult for the Turks to respond. (The tokens used for this competition are explained in one of the posts last week.) The Turkish right broke and Barry committed his reserve to that side.
Meanwhile, my attack on my right was too slow, especially how long it took me getting my knights into the right place. It chipped away causing casualties, despite my hussars woefully under-performing in trying to clear away Barry’s light horse, but had not done enough by the end of the game.
Thank you again, Barry. Good fun game and lessons learned.

The tokens are explained in this post  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/1854826434676940/

The start of the game. My Tartars and some cavalry pushed forward to delay Barry’s right.


The Lithuanians have arrived at the far end, Barry is starting to move his reserve to his right and my attack on my right is moving into position.

The Turkish right is broken and the Turkish reserve has formed up to hold the line. The fight on my right has done too little damage too slowly. Dirk Heinsius is watching.

Janissaries

Turkish cavalry

One of the war-wagons protecting the flank of the Janissaries 

Barry Norris
Thanks Vince. I really enjoyed the game - despite being on the back foot throughout. I think with a few more bounds you had me. Learning ... learning ...
1
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 17h
  • Vincent Cholewa
    Author
    Admin
    +3
    Barry Norris DBMM are great rules. Even after more than a decade I look forward to each game and each one plays out differently ðŸ˜Š
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 11h



No comments:

Post a Comment