Thursday 17 February 2022

Fatamid Egyptian - posted by Julian Hannam, 13 February 2022

My next project, Fatimid Egyptian (to oppose my 1099 Crusaders) is coming off the drawing board. 5 boxes of Gripping Beast Arab Cav, and 4 of Perry Afghans and Mahdists to be assembled, painted and blooded. Oh and LBMS banners and shield transfers of course! Only issue is that the Kurdish KnI have caused me a headache. I’m thinking Gothic Elite Cav from Gripping beast as the mounts and Arab heads to replace the Goth ones? Thoughts on that anyone? KnI being ”Javelin Calvary on armoured horses.” Until then my Perry ‘Arabised’ Crusader knights will do. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2001034760056106/



  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    Ooh! Another project ðŸ˜Š
    Paul Graham and Richard Mason were discussing Fatamids the other day.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
  • Dirk Heinsius
    For my Fatimids I when for Arab "elite" cavalry figures, on cloth barded horses. Not sure of the accuracy, but it means that they are easily identified on the tabletop.
    Also as the army comprises both Reg and Irr troops, I stuck with my usual scheme of Regulars being painted in a uniform way, and Irregulars un-uniformed.
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
    • Dirk Heinsius
      Another tip, I really struggled to find the Bd(X) figures. In the end I used Arab Standard bearers from Gripping Beast, with the standard staffs cut down and mace and flail heads added.
      2
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 4d
      • Julian Hannam
        Author
        Dirk Heinsius the Gripping Beast Cav sprue comes with this mace, so thinking that some dark skinned fellows will be wielding these. Also interesting is that the word ‘Glaive’ was the term used by Greeks and Arabs for ‘sword.’ (Thanks Osprey)
        No photo description available.
        1
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 4d
    • Julian Hannam
      Author
      Dirk Heinsius cheers Dirk. I’ve planned on only Reg Cv except for the IrrKnI Kurds. Time will tell if that’s a good choice.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 4d
    • Dirk Heinsius
      Great army BTW. I like the 1167AD option with the Crusader Ally.
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 4d
  • Russell Briant
    Good planning.
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
  • Ion A Dowman
    Long, long ago I was considering Fatimids as an historical opponent for my 10-11th century Byzantines (15mm). In the end I went Bulgars and Georgians. My Byzantines DID get to fight Fatimids once - for a great and glorious victory...


No comments:

Post a Comment