Wednesday 9 February 2022

Raphia part 3 - posted by Geoff Rothwell (Hamilton, Ontario), 5 February 2022

As the opposing pike blocks finally crash together, the Ptolemaic flanks give way...The final stages of our Raphia refight. A good time was had despite my reversal of history! I should mention that the figures in the pics are 15mm, but on 25mm sized bases. Alex has achieved a nice massed effect I think. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/1995579170601665



  • Russell Briant
    Could you explain what is happening in these two photos of the flank please
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
  • Geoff Rothwell
    Sorry, this attempt at an AAR was interrupted by my grandson. This pic is the Ptolemaic right, at the point it was broken. Made up of LH and Ax, with a small Cv reserve, it was assigned the lowest pip roll as its jobs were to hold, and protect my pike centre. Opposing it the Seleucids had a strong line of Reg Cv and some scythed chariots. Briefly, the chariots made mincemeat of my Ax while my remaining Ax and LH weren’t able to stand against his Cv. My reserve was too small to restore the situation, and the command was disheartened in short order, then broken the next bound. Ouch.


  • Mike Thorn
    Agreed on the above. Love the appearance of the 15mm figs on 25mm scale bases. Wondering if enough would feel strongly for or against this idea.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
  • Russell Briant
    The sheer amount of painting is mind boggling though ....
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 4d
    • Dirk Heinsius
      It's only 15mm, what's the problem? Last time I painted any 15mm, I couldn't believe how fast they were to paint.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 4d
    • Geoff Rothwell
      Author
      Russell Briant I know from Alex that it is a lot of work painting and basing. The effect though, particularly for ancients, is quite something. The other drawback is that my armies and his can’t fight, as I have stuck to the recommended basing for 15s. size.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 4d
    • James McArthur
      Russell Briant just don't run it at 450 points. some of the armies from this past weekend were... so, so much minis.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    A great idea using 15mm like this to get the effect of serried ranks 👍


No comments:

Post a Comment