Quick new player question - what is the advantage of Regular troops over Irregular?
I'm aware of the advantage of Regular Generals over Irregular (the ability to choose which Command gets which PIPs), but I can't seem to find how its advantageous to have Regular troops.
I'm currently looking at IV/64 French HYW - in that one, most of my generals are Irregular, but there are options for Regular troops, and I'm not sure of the advantage of choosing them instead of the Irregular ones.
Could someone please explain it and/or point to the reference in the rulebook which explains it?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/3393412020818366
Two advantages to start with. Easier to manoeuvre, get options in some situations to avoid automatic follow-up.
Hi Greg, in general, Irregulars are less manoeuvrable than regulars, requiring more Pips than regulars to do anything beyond advancing straight ahead. How big the difference is depends very much on the troop type. For some troop types (for example loose order light troops) the difference between regulars and irregulars is minimal. For others (typically close formation troops) the difference in manoeuvrability is very significant. The Troop Definitions section on page 4 introduces the distinction. To get a full understanding you need to study the Pip Expenditure section on p27.
The last sub section on page 27, Irregular Clumsiness, is particularly important
This seems a minor difference but I have often found it makes a surprisingly significant difference when trying to get around a flank or move a reserve: regulars march three times before having to pay an additional PIP for each march and irregulars march twice before the penalty.
More fibre in their diet?
Most regulars are not intrinsically impetuous when their irregular versions are impetuous.
Regulars can get a pip reduction when moving with a regular general.
No comments:
Post a Comment