Sunday 7 November 2021

Wargames Foundry Legionnaires rebased - posted by Russell Briant, 7 November 2021

Have now rebased my Wargames Foundry Legionnaires on to correct sized 60mm x 20mm based.
They have been part of my Ptolemaic army, on 60mm x 30mm bases which has always proved a problem.
They will now serve double duty in my Ptolemaic army (Gabinian or Antonine legionnaires) and my under construction, Didius Julianus Middle Imperial Roman army.
Perhaps representing hastily recalled veterans or Roma city defense militia equipped from city armory in older style gear.
I think that’s enough heavy infantry.

Next. Auxiliaries? 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/1931998710293045/

The Centurion is a Warlord Games figure, Pullo who, with Vorenus, is from their Heroes of Rome pair. I think he fits right in.

Vincent Cholewa
Pullo is up to his knees in tufts!
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 20h

The decals are Veni Vidi Vici again. I had a bit of silvering with some which I will look to paint out.

The Foundry sculpts are particularly fine.

  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    Great work, ave Caesar!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 20h
  • Bede Bailey
    Hi Russell. Why was the 60mm x 30mm a problem?
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 18h
    • Russell Briant
      Author
      +1
      Bede Bailey as far as the rules are concerned 30mm deep bases are the preserve of light and fast moving infantry.
      20mm bases for heavy infantry including legionnaires.
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 17h
    • Bede Bailey
      Oh, I knew that - but were people giving you a hard time when playing? Did it have a gameplay impact (other than people forgetting what was where)? I'm asking as I am just about to base my first DBMM army but was planning to use it for ADG first (this weekend coming in fact). I've used 60mm x 25mm as it falls exactly half way (and my 28mm figures fit on the bases). 😂. If it has been a game play problem, I'll likely just base for ADG and not worry about DBMM.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 17h
      • Edited
      • Russell Briant
        Author
        +1
        Bede Bailey there is a small game play problem when I intermingled Legionnaires and pike and one or other were pushed back one base depth they ended up no longer aligned and therefore not always able to be considered a group for moving. Some times by agreement I’d move them back 20mm but often becomes a problem.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 16h
      • Bede Bailey
        Hmmm. I've got lots blades and spears so can see it being a problem as well. I'll have to ponder it. Having my first game of ADG next weekend so I'll see how my shorter bases fare there (standard is 60mm x 60mm which makes for an easy interchange with DBMM.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 15h
      • Allen Yaxley
        Bede Bailey , it’s not a problem if at least 24 other DBMM gamers at the Hutt Club have managed it. Also you don’t need to fit 4 on a base, but the visual effect is certainly better.
        The one sure thing is that you would have plenty of other DBMM players to get games with on a regular basis. 🤩
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 15h
      • Neil Williamson
        Bede Bailey you could base them on a 20mm deep base which is then blu tacked to a 30mm base when required. Peter has done this with his Khmer army.
        1
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 15h
      • Allen Yaxley
        Bede Bailey , that’s a good idea. 👍
        1
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 14h
      • John Edmundson
        Bede Bailey The wrong base depth won't matter for ADLG because there's no such thing as recoil/push back in that system. Which is a glaring gaff in the rules design, so matters much more than a base depth inconvenience in DBMM. Spoiler alert: troops did recoil/ get pushed back. Pydna anyone?
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 2h


No comments:

Post a Comment