Saturday 26 June 2021

15mm Feudal Spanish - posted by John Edmundson, 20 June 2021

At the beginning of the year on the DBMM list, Nigel Tallis issued an informal painting challenge - not a competition, just challenging people to get some figures painted, especially with lock-downs still affecting people in Britain. I decided to get on with my 15mm Feudal Spanish, which had been waiting increasingly impatiently out in the garage and on the top shelf of my wardrobe. A few of these were done already but most of them are the product of steady (well, fitful actually) progress over the last few months. I'm usually pretty slow but I've got to the point where I can field 400AP (-:

There are a few elements still to complete but I now have virtually the entire list for up to 1050AD. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/1830010553825195/

The only missile troops in the army, eight Irr Bw(I) crossbowmen. They can be fielded as Irr Ps(O) instead and I have four figures so may yet look at that option. These are a mix f Old Glory and Essex. Three are missing crossbows because lots of the Essex crossbows arrived broken )-: . I'm weighing up whether to make the replacements or buy a pack of crossbows from Donnington.

I'm a hypocrite, I know. I have more mobile baggage than Bge(O), but in my defence, that's because I'm making a six element camp diorama, so I can use these guys in the meantime, as Irr Bge(O).
I like the Old Glory mules (from the Colonial Sudan range), which I have modelled being led by a modified (freed!) figure from their Medieval male captives set.

The list allows for three Irr Bd(O) axemen but no one seems to know anything about them, even the Duncan Heads of this world. So I went for some dark ages figures with a mix of axes, spears and swords. One can be upgraded to regular to guard the Cross of Pelagius so appears in the photo with the Reg Bg(S).
Back right is a foot general Irr Bd(O), which I probably wouldn't have painted if I hadn't stuffed up the order and been a command pack short for the mounted generals . . . He's kind of grown on me since but I haven't used him yet.

This is half the Irr Sp(I) / Ir Ps(O) that I'm allowed. I have more unpainted but they aren't a priority at the moment.

These Caballeros Villanos are really useful to keep the knights' flanks covered. I can have up to eight of these Irr Cv(O) but I stuffed up the order to Essex so I need two more packs to complete the remaining three.

Apologies for the quality - I didn't realise it was so out of focus. This is two IrrBge(O), a Reg Bd(O) to guard the Victory Cross and the Reg (Why?) Bge(S) - The Victory Cross, referred to in the list as the Cross of Pelagius because St Pelayo (Pelagius) allegedly led a resistance against the Moors which is sort of seen as the beginning of the Reconquista.

The hidalgos are what this army's really all about; a delivery system for sixteen Knight (fragile), but Irr Kn(F) aren't so fragile in period. There are sixteen here but they include one general (and an element with a convenient ("old school" white horse to mark another general. It'll be a normal element when I paint three more elements - two generals and one other element. Another error in ordering, this time from Old Glory .

The six Basque Light Horse (Irr LH(O). Prior to the advent of the Jinetes (after my army's time), these are the only LH outside an Andalusian ally.

This is a bird's eye view of the whole army as it stands at the moment.

The Irr Ps(O) slingers are really useful but three packs only left eleven elements after I purloined one for a Spanish ally for my Andalusians.So there's an improvised element in here, but I'm happy with it. Some of these (and some other Spanish and EMNA elements need to be rebased because the GW flock doesn't look right to me.

All thirty six Irr Ps(I) serfs. I love the idea of deploying a sea of Ps(I) and seeing how long it takes to wade through the pillow of squishy death.
  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group Expert
    Well done, John. Looking good. We all need a spur of one kind or another to get us painting.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
    • John Edmundson
      Author
      You never seem to . . .
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 6d
      • Vincent Cholewa
        Admin
        Group Expert
        John Edmundson thank you. I have done little painting over the last few months with moving house, work and the dogs getting so sick. I just talk a good game 😝
        1
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 6d
  • Phil Malthus
    Nice work, John, very good indeed. Ive been working on SYW this year, prussians, austrians and french 🙂
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
Vincent Cholewa
Admin
Group Expert
Is this too early for El Cid? BTW, it's a great movie. I love it.
No photo description available.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 1m

No comments:

Post a Comment