Monday 22 April 2019

NatCon: Ptolemaic - posted by Russell Briant, 22 April 2019

My last four DBMM games at NZ NatCon 2019 were against Keith V TryeJosh BartonNeil Williamson and Ivan Truong.
Thank you all.

Vincent Cholewa Many thanks for the post, Russell, and your company on our neighbouring tables on day 1 😊
1
As I had speculatively predicted that when Stats Gods take away (as they did on day one) the Stats Gods would give back. I did say I’d be throwing all sixes in my next game and it turned out that way VS Keith’s Anglo-Irish.

That said we only really engaged on my right as my distracting flank probe to disorganise what looked like threatening knights developed into a major engagement.
Keith threw a good many 1s to exasperate the issue.
14-11 draw to me.
Josh’s was the only army that didn’t outnumber me all weekend.

I managed to march light horse from my right flank all the way around behind Josh’s army and charge his extreme right flank General care of an assisting road by turn 3 (the general and the light horsemen survived that encounter.
This was the only game I got fully stuck in and I finally broke the English for a 19-6 win.

Day three, I faced Neil’s Hellish Huns in another convention.

This time I used a maximum width Sea to limit Neil’s room to manoeuvre and a large rocky flat to protect some troops.
I spread a thinned line across the table and attacked up a gentle hill with against Neil’s fast knight allies because it was the one troop type I might kill (or die trying).
Learnt a good number of light cavalry tactics I didn’t know.
My uphill attack wasn’t as successful as I had hopped but we killed enough of each other to gain an honourable 11 to Neil’s 14.
Pretty tired by the time I faced Ivan and his Medieval French. My apologies to him and thanks for his patience.

Scattered my forces across the table chasing shadows but that also created some opportunities to kill a goodly number of Ivan’s mounted and dismounted knights.
My CInCs command was broken and my Companion sub-General disheartened and half an ME from breaking. 
Ivan had two (of four) disheartened commands (the large knight command carried on without a care which gives food for thought when list building).
In the end it was a 12-13 draw in Ivan’s favour.



VS Keith’s Anglo-Irish. The fighting mostly happened on my right here in and around the sand dune Keith has deployed in. 
More of Ivan’s knight and the Jacquerie hordes rampage through my empty centre....



.... towards my Legionnaires and Thracian on my left.

Any second this shite’s gunna get real! Eyeballing the Hun. 
Holdor, Holdor, hold or die




The match up vs Neil. My line largely held in the centre. Some combat in the near rocky flat. It was the far gentle hill I tried my fortunes and came second but didn’t fully collapse. 

The rocky flat terrain I made a couple of weekends ago look the part in this shot.
John van den Hoeven Awesome terrain.
Out left as my pike chase Ivan’s elusive knights. I did bag a few too.

Neil’s view just before he bugs his knights out. Some complexity in knowing where uphill was promising to invest in simpler hills.

Keith’s left flank command which I managed to break with the death of his general.

My cavalry charged in vs Neil’s fast knights and next turn two out of three were quick killed before Neil executed a Feigned Flight. I threw high enough to not go chasing after.

Later we discussed if Neil had simply stayed and fought he might have broken me. The flip side is the risk of his Fast Knights getting killed in my turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment