Monday 12 August 2024

How to seal the flock and sand on terrain? Asked by Josh Barton, 10 August 2024

Hobby question,can I get a recommendation for how to seal the flock and sand on terrain? I was thinking pva watered down in a spray bottle but wasn't sure of the dilution and if it's even a good idea 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2655226891303553

Philip Gates
Top contributor
That is definitely an option.
Many years ago Vince advised me that a spray varnish works well enough.
I have since been basing my painted figures, sculpting and painting the base, then flocking. Once all is dry I spray a gloss varnish over everything, then another two Matt varnishes on top of that. Works great.
Josh Barton
Author
Top contributor
Philip Gates ah spray varnish isn't a great idea because it's polystyrene so will melt
Philip Gates
Top contributor
Philip Gates
Top contributor
Josh Barton watered down PVA then, or, Mod Podge sealant, which you can buy in a spray can.
Vincent Cholewa
Admin
Group expert
+1
Josh Barton if the base is covered with PVA, paint, flock and sand then the varnish should not get to the polystyrene. I have used matt varnish as the final coat with my decorated polystyrene hills with no damage.
Ben Vartok
Top contributor
Ditto, polystyrene hills with pva and flock then a spray varnish and all fine. Maybe are you doing bare polystyrene to get a snow effect?
Bruce Ferguson
Top contributor
I use watered down pva, about the consistancy of trim milk, squirt it out if a squeeze bottle
Julian Hannam
Top contributor
I always put PVA watered down over my sand after it’s dried. Then I paint with appropriate coloured house paint for a proper solid base. Done many armies and minis that way - never fails
2
Aaron Jackson
Julian Hannam this is the same method I use. Pva sand then drop scenic seal water down PVA with a dropper to seal it. Never fails
Paul Graham
Top contributor
I use a 50/50 (approx) dilution of PVA and let it dry off for a good 24 hrs. Can flock at the same time if you don't need to paint.
2
Gavin Pearson
Top contributor
What Paul Graham said. Can go more dilute, but I tend not to.

Rob Groom

I use spray varnish also. Been doing that for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment