Sunday 7 August 2022

Which army for a beginner to DBMM? Asked by Rex Hurley, 5 August 2022

Hello everyone while most of you know I'm not new to gaming I am newish (two games ever played) to DBMM. if one was to make the effort to travel and entertain you with my moody personality at the Nationals in Easter what would your advice be for a noob to play for an army.
My preferences in the past (with other periods) have either been subtlety that people right off as unwinnable (then win with it) or pure blunt aggression.
Looking for something that is worth my painting time to, although I am still not sure about DBMM as I prefer TTS as my Ancients ruleset of choice.

All suggestions appreciated. Regards Rex 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2130408020452112/

  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    Hi Rex it’s great news that you are interested in DBMM. The DBx system used is quite different to other publishers’ rules but DBMM produce really good games on the tabletop. After decades of gaming they have become my all time favourite rules ðŸ˜Š
    As for an army, I believe that to collect and paint enough toy soldiers for DBMM army you have to like the army, especially when you first start playing.
    In my opinion, there is a sweet spot in the rules when playing 25/28mm. That is, those later medieval armies that have knights that can dismount as Bd(S), or have Bd(S) in the list, and have longbows. A bit small but very tough all round.
    Another interesting option are some of the later Roman lists (late imperial and patrician). They seem to be well balanced, with lots of options and good hitting power.
    Having said all that, I field one of my armies with no foot at all and another two with very little foot. That has some weaknesses! But I like the armies and am happy to keep using them.
    Good luck for your army and maybe get in touch with Keith Trye and Julian Hannam in Taranaki.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Dirk Heinsius
    Pick something you like. My favourite army is Early Achaemenid Persians, which are pretty useless on the tabletop, but I still love them
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Rex Hurley
      Author
      Dirk Heinsius sage words but there is sooo much to chose from argh }!(*$_
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
    • Dirk Heinsius
      Fair enough, start with a period, Biblical, Classical, Feudal, or Medieval
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
  • Paul Graham
    Plenty of armies here for you to borrow Rex, if you're not sure you want to commit the paint. It would be good to see you come along. What's your favourite ancient army these days?
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Rex Hurley
      Author
      Thanks Paul, nominally have a bend towards the Carthaginians of the Punic Wars but played Jim M heaps using my Late Archies or Italian Wars Venetians in 18s while studying at LU before finishing my Degree and moving up here last year. Have played FOGD heaps and won numerous events with Numibians
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d


No comments:

Post a Comment