Sunday 14 August 2022

Recommendation for acryllic thinners? Asked by Ben Vartok, 10 August 2022

Painting Question.
Can anyone recommend a locally available acrylic thinners product?
And briefly why/how better than dipping the brush into the water jar and mixing with the paint?
Cheers,

Ben 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2134334126726168/


    • James Trotman
      You can get acrylic medium from Warehouse Stationery. I just use a couple of drops of that. I find if I use water my paints tend to separate and I find it a lot easier to achieve the "two thin coats" using the medium.
      2
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 4d
      • Ben Vartok
        Author
        James Trotman Thanks James. Will check it out and try. I use Reaper Paints and don't have any issues with separation, at least I think I don't, what is paint separation and what does it look like? Reaper have quite high pigment according to their marketing team anyway. That said a number of painters have recommended thinners so thought I would see if it helped at all.
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 4d
        • James Trotman
          Ben Vartok my paint is a mixture of older Citadel stuff, Tamiya acrylics and Army Painter. I just found over the years that when I used water to thin my paints it didn't work for me. A friend of mine put me onto acrylic medium and I really like it. I use dripper bottles for the paint and a wet pallette and just add a drop or two to thin it down. Works well for glazing techniques too.
          • Like
          • Reply
          • Share
          • 4d
    • Philip Gates
      Like James I use acrylic medium primarily with Vallejo. Works well.
      3
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 4d
    • Michael Stonyer
      I use Vallejo Thinner Medium 70.524, Acrylic Resin. It's much better than water as it is much easier to control. a single drop or two thins the paint but doesn't risk leaving it runny. Because it's a resin the Vallejo still allows you to control the… 
      See more
      4
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 3d


No comments:

Post a Comment