Saturday 17 August 2019

Hoplites on the painting table - posted by Josh Barton, 29 July 2019

Finally got back to work on my hoplites - the first 8 Sp(O)... I just need 92 more shield ideas 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1251046481721608/



Russell Briant I’m liking those shield designs Josh.
  • Josh Barton thank you Russell :) I think I'm getting the hang of them
  • Dirk Heinsius Josh Barton Throw this in as a shield design in the middle of the group and see if anyone notices 😁
    No photo description available.
    2
Vincent Cholewa Fabulous! This link made that help with ideas for shield patterns 
http://lukeuedasarson.com/Greek_shield_patterns_1.html
Classical Greek Shield Patterns
LUKEUEDASARSON.COM
Classical Greek Shield Patterns
Classical Greek Shield Patterns
Kelly Gay Transfers are your friend. Even if it's just to copy the ideas. I recon you could also do multiple versions of the same shield. Maybe just change the background colour...alot of effort there!
3
  • Josh Barton Thank you :) I've been copying transfer images I've found online so far (with a few other designs I've found). I had thought about using transfers, but I decided that I wanted to practice my freehand since I'm never happy with it!

    I had planned on repeating the club a few times (its easy and Theban), but I guess I've got the desire to make them all look individual. We'll see how I go though...
    1
  • Kelly Gay All good. Looks great!
    1
Kevin O'Kane Yes, have around 70 individual hand-painted shields in my Lydian Army. And the link above was definitely a good start. Also had access to library books with images from classical Greek pottery - which provided other relevant ideas. Although it does require thinking about a change of perspective so you can fit a square image into a circle ...
3

No comments:

Post a Comment