Thursday 15 August 2019

A question about Greek psiloi, hammippoi - posted by Josh Barton, 25 July 2019

A quick question, in the Greek list it says I can take 0-1 Hammippoi per Cav(O). Am I right in thinking that this doesn't mean they need to be in the same command?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1248283981997858/

Dirk Heinsius Correct, although historically it would probably be better if they were considering that they did operate to support the cavalry, however there is no restriction in the lists.
1
  • Josh Barton Thank you :) it does leave me in a bit of a bind- being historically accurate is always nice but they'd slow down and hamper the cavalry so I'd rather have them with the other psiloi :p
  • Dirk Heinsius Josh Barton I have the same issue with German cavalry in Early Roman. The Cav get Ps(S) support, but frankly I usually have much better uses for Ps(S) than backing up Cav.
  • Russell Briant Josh Barton do add +1 when fighting other cavalry (anything else?). Could march them later to come up and join and support the cavalry if you feel the need to race ahead their cav.
  • Josh Barton Russell Briant I could but I'm just wondering about the pips that might require, whereas if they're with the other Ps I can move them as one skirmish screen rather than having them left behind due to a poorly timed 1 or 2... 

    I suppose it's also the same feeling as Dirk - Ps(s) have more uses then giving cav +1 and then dying if the cav are killed
  • Russell Briant Josh Barton fair enough. Do they die if the cavalry die?

    They do get a bonus 1 also v Ps when have Ps (O) rear rank. So options.
    See More
  • Josh Barton Russell Briant I'll have to check, but I thought Ps always died if the unit infront of it died.

    not sure how it'll be organised yet, but at the moment I'm leaning toward two large infantry commands with a mix of Sp and Ps, and then a medium sized cavalry command of Cv(O) and maybe LH(O)
    1
  • Dirk Heinsius Josh Barton - Yes they are destroyed
    "When an element other than Psiloi is destroyed as a close combat outcome, all friendly elements with any part directly beyond the initially destroyed element and with their nearest such part less (or if Psiloi no f
    See More
    1
  • Josh Barton Ty, I thought that was the case :)
  • Dirk Heinsius Josh Barton Joys of having a soft copy of the rules and army lists at work :-)
    2
  • John Edmundson There is one advantage in keeping the Ps in the same command as the Cv: they aren't penalised in PIP allocation for a mixed group. I do think there is a case for "pillion passenger" Ps (like Ancient Spanish, Numidians etc) to march at Cv speed, as used to happen in pre DBx WRG rules. But even without it, the fact that the Cv/Ps move for only one PIP if the Ps can support (so true for these Greeks, the Germans mentioned etc) is a pretty useful option to have up your sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment