Monday 1 April 2024

Irr Bw (I) or Irr Ps (O)? Asked by Josh Barton, 25 March 2024

What are people's thoughts on Irr Bw(I) vs Irr Ps(O) options - such as in the later biblical Hebrews. I'm tempted by the bow for giving an alternative troop type, but are bow I any good? 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2554997194659857/

Philip Gates
Only fight in one rank. And they will have to fight.
I prefer PS(O) myself.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • Edited
Josh Barton
Author
Top Contributor
Philip Gates ah cool, and yeah with 20 elements (or 21 for some reason...) there's to many of them to be left out of the fight
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Philip Gates
Josh Barton big blocks of psiloi can tie down terrain reasonably well too.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Josh Barton
Author
Top Contributor
Philip Gates yeah, I think I'll go for the Ps(O). It also opens up 20ap for something else as well
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Russell Briant
Top Contributor
Josh Barton and less painting might be a point.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Josh Barton
Author
Top Contributor
Russell Briantsame amount really, I'l just be replacing them with spearmen
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Russell Briant
Top Contributor
Josh Barton ah yes. Of course.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Ben Vartok
Top Contributor
I use them in my Early Crusaders to support sp and bd. They shoot well but yes fighting is poor. If you can do both bw and ps that's a good option.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Vincent Cholewa
Admin
Group expert
+1
A tactic I have seen written about is a one deep line of Irr Bw(I) to disrupt your opponent’s mounted troops and your own mounted troops behind them. The theory is your mounted can interpenetrate or attack, with overlaps, elements that break through th… 
See more
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
3
Josh Barton
Author
Top Contributor
Vincent Cholewainteresting, I do get cav(s) chariots, which seem to work well for that
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
2
Vincent Cholewa
Admin
Group expert
+1
Josh Barton have to leave enough room for the chariot bases if interpenetrating 👍
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Potbelly Miniatures
Josh Barton i could see them advancing past the bow to contact enemy bow for example.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
2
John Garvey
As an owner of an Amazonian army, the Ps(O) are the toughest troops in it! My experience with Irr Bw(I) is that they just die. And that was using 3 deep Bw.
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
2
John Garvey
I also own an Old Kingdom Egyptian army. The Reg Bw(I) do allow you to try and manoeuvre the Bw out of the way. But I’m painting more Reg Bd(F)…..
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Tilman Dang
Totally different use cases, totally depends on what you build your army for. I personally dislike irr PS, as they maneuver like Elephants in difficult at the same price as reg PS. I hate paying too much... large groups of bw (i) are a target for the e… 
See more
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • Edited
4
Vincent Cholewa
Admin
Group expert
+1
There’s some paper scissors rock here. In difficult going I’d prefer Ps(O) to Bw(I) and also if confronted by Wd or elephants.
However, in the open with mounted troops threatening, Bw(I) would probably be a better bet. … 
See more
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Josh Barton
Author
Top Contributor
Vincent Cholewa bow have no penalties in rough going, so it's be the same as open
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
Bob Smith
I like BwI. If your opponent doesn't take them seriously, they can inflict a lot punishment. If he does, they're going to die but you don't care because they're only 1/2 ME each and your opponent is weaker everywhere else on the field


No comments:

Post a Comment