Monday 16 November 2020

Victrix Achaemenid Persians - posted by Dirk Heinsius, 10 November 2020

Victrix Achaemenid Persians
I received my first package of Victrix Persians on Friday, and managed to get some of these assembled and painted over the weekend.
At the moment I have mixed feelings about them and am still contemplating whether or not to continue upgrading my Early Persians with the Victrix figures, replacing those figures which are some 7 years old now.
Don't get me wrong the Victrix figures are beautiful, go together well, and have a nice range of poses, with lots of accessories, specifically a wide range of shields for early or later Persians. I also love the bowcase transfers, which are a really nice touch, and when painting help me choose a palette for each figure, which I always find to be a problem with painting Persians.
The only down side with the assembly and the bowcase transfers, is that some parts only match with other parts and it can be easy to get confused so the lesson is build one figure at a time, and don't try to do it in batches unless you are a lot more organised than I.
The down side, is that the figures are huge. I mean they even look large compared with other Victrix figures. Whilst this isn't a problem so far, I suspect that I would have real difficulty fitting the Cavalry onto DBMM bases, without investing in horses from a different manufacturer.
The other problem with the size of the figures, is that the Persians are a very diverse army, and whilst the proposes releases from Victrix, include all of the Persian foot, and the bulk of the cavalry, trying to find figures from some of the subject nations to match in size, could be difficult, i.e. Egyptian Marines, Indian Foot and Chariots, Assyrian and Chaladean foot and Chariots, and Horse Archers.
I'm currently looking at Vendel (Egyptians and Indians), Hinchliffe (Assyrians), and other Victrix ranges could cover Libyans, and some of the new dark age ranges could work for Phaphlagonians, Armenians etc. Any other suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1662246290601623/

The command sprue which are beautiful figures and a pleasure to paint. Loverly shield transfers, but a couple of transfers for the banners would have been really handy. I used a cut down shield transfer.

Kneeling Archers, 1/4 of the figures are kneeling, which I'm not sure I like. Fortunately the Persians have a lot of Psiloi, so I can find a use for them, as opposed to being in the Sparabara line.

Another shot of the kneeling archers, showing the bowcase transfers


Size comparison between the Victrix Numidians, Persians and Greeks
  • would not the men of other nations be of different statures anyway? I mean Persians are not small men, especially the better fed military classes
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
  • badge icon
    Nice work oh Dirkses, Emperor of Upper Hutt and Surrounding Suburbs. I share your pain with the ever increasing size of figures.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
  • they look fantastic!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d
  • You've got some figures you're thinking of replacing because they are 7 years old? Some armies around date back to when we were all teenagers
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 6d


 

No comments:

Post a Comment