Sunday 2 August 2020

Feudal English, day 1 at Winter Cup - posted by Gary Lewis, 29 July 2020

My Winter Cup Day 1
With my brand new Feudal English having their first proper day out, and coming off quite well, I just wanted to pay tribute to the dice gods who were definitely on my side, and to acknowledge my somewhat unlucky opponents, Paul and Doug.
Firstly, against Paul's Medes, where Paul went for a fairly large (75 pt, 16 fast light horse) flank march, leaving mostly inferior spear and bow to face my longbowmen and knights. As it turned out, the knights didn't need to do much since the bows both shot and fought the spear to death. And then on bound 5 or 6, when Paul's flank march arrived, it didn't get enough pips to come on table, and the same happened in the next bound, by which time his army was broken.
Then against Doug's Mongols. Doug's artillery park split the middle of the board (and his artillery were his most effective troops, killing 3 or 4 of my longbows) with plenty of superior cavalry either side and a light horse command on a flank (this was both the low pip dice command and unreliable for 2 or 3 bounds). Doug started off aggressively with one of the cavalry commands but didn't manage to get it out of columns quick enough, leaving the first couple shot to death and then allowing me to charge my knights into them just after they had spread out into line, resulting in 4 of them gone in a single bound. On the other side I delayed the light horse and again shot up the cavalry, breaking the army.
All in all a good day for the English 😀😀


Alastair Donald Nice report. How do the Bw go against Sp(s). Asking for a friend.

Al the Spartan
  • Gary LewisAuthor Against irr Sp(i) they kicked butt. Somehow I suspect superior spear would not have a problem with them.
  • Alastair Donald Yes, we’ve fought in the shade before...
  • Russell Briant Great looking army. An age where personal promotion was at its highest!
    • Gary LewisAuthor Thanks. By day 2 I hope they will all be finished basing-wise.
  • Aaron Jackson Beautiful colors
  • John van den Hoeven I suspect with my current points tally my new Western Wei Chinese won't be fighting you in the next round 😉
  • Andrew Bennetts Awesome work Gary - that is a lot of Kn!
    • Gary LewisAuthor Thanks Benny - 5 additional elements since christmas - all un-tufted so far...
    • Andrew Bennetts Do you hand paint the barding or use transfers? My equivalents (from Crusader) are steadily rising up the painting schedule so looking for tips ;-)
    • Andrew Bennetts Aha - just found your link to Citadel Six. Looks like the place to go!
    • Gary LewisAuthor Andrew Bennetts yes mostly Citadel Six. I have some leftover WOTR transfers as well which I have used for variety. Also a few from 3V Wargames. One, for example, has Citadel Six ermine all over the barding, then a 3V Red Rose on top of that. Plus, if I ever get around to it, I have some scans of shields from a heraldry book that I'd like to print onto decal paper one day.
    • Andrew Bennetts 3V ( =Veni Vedi Vici?) - I hadn't thought of them although have used them for Gauls and Greeks over the years - will check out their Medieval stuff 👍
Vincent Cholewa Very nice indeed 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment