Sunday 16 July 2023

Thracian cavalry - posted by Vince Cholewa, 14 July 2023

A couple more elements to add to my Thracian nobles. After recent less than entirely successful outings as inferior knights in wedge, I will start using them as ordinary cavalry.
They might also appear as additional line cavalry in my Seleucid army. I use the earliest option in the Seleucid list, where the line cavalry are still Reg Cv(O).

The figures are from my spares box, Minifigs and various others. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2392289757597269/



Ben Vartok
Top contributor
Spares box? That sounds like a great rebranding of the Lead Mountain of Shame.
4
  • Love
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 2d
  • Geoff Rothwell
    Nice work on the painting, Vincent. May they fight as well as they look!
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
  • Julian Hannam
    Hey Vincent Cholewa, interesting you say the KnI wedge was not returning good results. I play with someone who has ‘talked up’ the KnI as a reasonable option (looking at you Keith V Trye). Was it bad dice rolling, wrong Quick Kill match ups?
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 2d
    • Vincent Cholewa
      Author
      Admin
      +2
      Julian Hannam the key difference between Irr Kn(I) wedge and Irr Kn(I) is those in wedge don’t quick kill cavalry. Cv(O) are a nuisance and a threat if the combat dice at first contact (before recoils and pursuit) are unkind. Cv(S) are just lethal.
      The other issue for me is the Thracian army structure. The nobles are all Kn(I) wedge or all Cv(O). There are no other Cv to support my plentiful light horse in the flank sectors.
      The other thing is if the nobles are Cv then the CnC can deploy his entire command in a flank sector.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
    • Julian Hannam
      The delightful subtleties of DBMM list building! Thanks for the great reply.
      2
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 2d
      • Vincent Cholewa
        Author
        Admin
        +2
        Julian Hannam you’re most welcome. Regarding inferior troops’ combat dice, the challenge is usually not so much what your opponent rolls but, instead, to not roll low yourself. E.g. Kn(I) 3+1-1=3 vs Cv(O) 3+3=6


No comments:

Post a Comment