Sunday 30 April 2023

ValleyCon, Thracians vs Bactrian Greeks - posted by Vince Cholewa, 28 April 2023

ValleyCon game 2, vs Bactrian Greeks
Next game was another Thracian invasion of what is now Afghanistan and Pakistan, playing Jim Morton's Bactrian Greeks (my first game had been vs Mountain Indians). For the same reasons as in my first game I wanted as little terrain as possible – my strength in light horse (lots of Irr LH(O)) and the width of my army – and again terrain would play little part in the game.
Jim deployed the Greek and Mountain Indian pikes in the centre with elephants on either side, with a reserve of Saka horse archers (Irr LH(F)) in the rear. On his left were archers, auxiliaries and their general, Companion-style cavalry (Reg Kn(F) in wedge). On his right were the Iranian nobles (Irr Kn(F)), cavalry (Cv(O)) and a few light horse (LH(O)).
My plan was similar to that in the first game. As you can see in the pic, my mixed command of peltasts (Irr Ax (S) and Irr Ps(S)), some archers (Irr Ps(O)) and light horse would envelope on my right, the hoplites (Reg Sp(O)) next to them would stand off with the Greek and Mountain Indian pikes, the King’s command (Irr Kn(I) in wedge, lots of Irr, Ps (S), some Irr Ps(O) and two light horse), would be available to attack the Iranian nobles (Irr Kn(F)) and the light horse command would envelope the left. The pic shows Jim deep in thought as I put my plan into action. However, my pan had a wobble at the start, then got worse right, left and centre, with the wheels quickly falling off!
Xenophon proved unreliable and that prevented him maneuvering his peltasts (Reg Ps(S)) to counter the elephants. On my right, half of the Saka command had moved to protect that flank, and I was able to overlap both ends of the Saka line with my bigger group of light horse. One of my light horse was recoiled, two were doubled and none won. Unfortunate, but not a disaster as while I could no longer press the attack, I had enough troops to stop Jim’s left doing too much.
Importantly on my left, the light horse had done their job of drawing away cavalry and light horse and the Thracian nobles could attack the smaller group of Iranian nobles. This was a disaster. The Thracian nobles won no combats and three were doubled – having lost one light horse in the initial skirmishing, this disheartened the command. In the centre, Xenophon could not be doubled in a straight up fight. However, the hoplites on one side of him were pushed back, he copped a 6-1 and was destroyed, and other hoplites rolled ones and were doubled. Next bound the King’s disheartened command broke and that broke the hoplites. Game over, 0-25!

It’s always a pleasure to play Jim, who is a gentlemen throughout, and this game was no exception. After the competition, this was one of the games that had me seriously doubting the wisdom of a hoplite general leading from the front and using Thracian nobles as a strike force. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2340229962803249/



No comments:

Post a Comment