Saturday 15 April 2023

Thebans vs Samnites - posted by Josh Barton, 15 April 2023

Today I had the pleasure of playing Graham Starkey with my Thebans. Graham was playing Samnites but warned me that he may have a Gallic ally...
After rolling up the Greeks found that Italy's terrain was almost perfect for the Samnites, with rough hills and rocky flats forming a natural fortification for their enemies. Still, an unpaved road down the middle of the battlefield would be useful.
My Greeks deployed in column, I had expected shenanigans and wanted to be able to redeploy quickly away from any warband. Shenanigans were obvious when Graham only deployed three tiny commands on the hill, non with warband. I assumed he had a flank march of warband so I began to reposition my army in the center.
The battle started with both sides' cavalry hooking around the left and the Greek phalanx advancing up the road. The Samnite's tricks were revealed when a massive command of 27 warband was revealed running down the hill on turn 2.
Well that was a bit of a shock, I'd expected something but not that many gauls. Thankfully my hoplites were still in column and screened by the psiloi so I was able to start moving them as far aways from the Gauls as possible.
The repositioning occurred as the samnite army charged down the hill toward the badly outnumbered Greek psiloi who bravely faced off against the barbarian horde while the citizen hoplites and cavalry attempted to envelop the weaker Samnite right flank.
The psiloi sold themselves dearly but were cut down just as the Greek cavalry surrounded the hill anchoring the samnite right flank, what ensued was a bloody, messy fight for the hill as the Greeks attacked from three sides.
The hoplite repositioning had gone well and they formed phalanx to the right of the repositioning Samnites and began to advance into the swirling melee.
Both armies had suffered heavy casualties but the Greeks were better better organised and engaged in formation while the Samnites and their Gallic allies engaged pellmell. Still the Gauls were able to engage the hoplites at several points, leading to a very pessimistic outlook for the Greeks.
The battle ended with a sudden Greek surge. They managed to repulse the Gallic warband's charge and cut down enough of the remaining Samnite infantry to break the army, not a moment too soon.
That was a close, and wonderfully entertaining game that was on a knife's edge throughout. Graham's ability to reposition his warband was a real threat and I honestly thought they would hit my spear and run away with it. Still a few lucky dice rolls gave me the one more turn I needed to break two commands and win the game.

No baggage survived the game. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2332242143602031/







Potbelly Miniatures
celts sah! fousands of 'em!
2
  • Like
  • Reply
  • Share
  • 19h






















No comments:

Post a Comment