Sunday 13 October 2019

Fitting Perry 28mm onto DBMM bases - posted by Bede Baily, 7 October 2019

Hello DBMMers. I've just started basing some knights for my first army (using Crusaders from the Perry Bros. range) and I can't say they fit very well on a 60mm x 40mm. I'm yet to play a game myself, and was wondering how important base depth is to game play? If I could add another 5-10mm to base depth I could avoid the tails in nostrils problem that is going to occur when I have knights in two ranks. However, I wouldn't want to be accused of trying to gain an unfair advantage through basing slightly differently. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1302991853193737/

Nick Buckby It’s not exactly uncommon for folks to base cav and kn on 50mm depths as you are dead right about practicality.

It’s not uncommon for people to humph a bit about it from the moral high ground afforded by their 32 year old compliant Hinchliffe figures. ðŸ™‚
See More
2
  • Josh Barton Seconded- and I've not heard any complaints in the Wellington region
    2
  • Philip Gates Nick Buckby what Nick said. My Mirliton Condotierre kn are on 50mm deep bases.
    1
  • Bede Bailey Thank goodness - the poor knights are so tight on their little 60x40 islands that it was making me reconsider the entire project. I'll be much happier with them on 60x50. Thanks for the help gentlemen. ðŸ˜€
    3
  • Russell Briant Bede Bailey I have increased the depth of my bases to fit bigger figures. The downsides where they exist seem to be for the player with the deeper bases. It causes issues with falling back and how far troops behind them can reach when moving. But not crippling.
    2
  • Bede Bailey Russell Briant Have you increased the depth of the basic 60x20? I noticed that was really tight for the Perry figures too. The spears in the title picture for this group look like they might be on 60x30 to me.
  • Nick Buckby Bede Bailey the picture caption seems to make them Aux (s) hypaspists.
    1
  • Bede Bailey Nick Buckby Ah, that explains that.
  • Russell Briant Bede Bailey I have done for my Foundry Roman Legionnaires to 30mm depth and particularly Victrix cavalry to 50mm (?)
    Image may contain: one or more people
    2
  • Image may contain: one or more people
    2
Michael Stonyer Hi Bede, I had the same problem with my A&A manufactured cavalry and Blade. I've had my cavalry bases cut with a five centimeters depth and my blade with a 25mm depth. Then on the rare, (rare I hear you say!) occasion my cavalry are forced to recoil See More
2
  • Bede Bailey I like your numbers Michael, I think that's the direction I'm going to go.
    2

No comments:

Post a Comment