Sunday 8 September 2019

Question about hordes disguised as hoplites - posted by Josh Barton, 3 September 2019

can I draw on the brain trust again?
List 2:9 Syracusan (I'm looking at branching out after finishing the Thebans) Allows 4 - 8 Hd(O) to be disguised as Sp(I), but the list also states that:
"Hd disguised as hoplites as Disguised Troops strategem at an extra total cost of 10AP are depicted as twice as many elements of Sp(I) double based"
Since Sp(I) are not double based so how does this 'deception' work? Won't your opponent will know which Sp(I) are double based and so must be horde?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1276348709191385/

Adrian Coombs-Hoar You can voluntarily double base certain element types.
Hide 15 Replies
  • Josh Barton ahh that makes sense! Thank you :)
  • Josh Barton I'm still not convinced it's worth it (either 10AP + the Hd or painting 128 extra hoplites to have them double based) but I see how it's meant to work :)
  • John Edmundson But if you never voluntarily double base your Sp, that won't fool anyone. The rules are the rules and the list notes are the list notes. The rules say the ruse is exposed under very specific circumstances, which doesn't include when you follow list notSee More
  • Adrian Coombs-Hoar Josh Barton don't forget you still pay the element cost of each element in a double base.
    1
  • John Edmundson In this case though you're only paying for the Hd and the stratagem. The Sp are fictitious.
    1
  • Josh Barton John Edmundson Thanks, that's a solid idea - I'll sound out my local opponents (and TOs) to see if they'd be happy with me doing it in casual and tournament games (although the cat's out of the bag now ;) ). My guess is that it was a way to stop the isSee More
  • Dirk Heinsius Personally I'd just use single based hoplites and just always keep them as 2 ranks deep. I can't see anyone complaining, and it definitely conforms to the spirit of the stratagem :-)
    4
  • John Edmundson Yes, and the substitution is two Sp for one Hd, so there's no base-depth issue.
  • Gary Lewis I have used them once. Seemed to work ok.
  • Tilman Dang The double basing refers to the function of the double base (keeping them together), whether you put them on sabbots or what way you use to keep them "double based" is up to you! The intention is, that you can not with this stratagem go up to 16 HoplitSee More
    1
  • Kenneth Chan Dirk Heinsius that is what I would do as well
  • Josh Barton Thank you everyone for the clarifications :) I may (or may not ;) ) employ the stratagem since it seems potentially very useful
  • John Edmundson Tilman Dang Yes, unlike exaggerated troops, that you can use with different bits of the army in different games, fool people into thinking you don't have an ambush because everyone is accounted for etc, all you can do with this one is use a specific switch to have people think one part of your hoplite phalanx is tougher than it looks.
  • Dirk Heinsius Imagine if you could disguise Theban Sacred Band Sp(S) as Hd. Do it once and no one would ever go near your hoard again :-)
    1
  • Josh Barton Dirk Heinsius that would be amazing! but is also probably why it's limited to specified lists and units ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment