Monday 3 June 2019

On the painting table, Macedonians - posted by Rob Curry, 3 June 2019

After just shy of four years, I've got all of my Macedonians finished! All 297 men, 4 women, 75 horses, 3 goats, 2 bulls, and 1 dog are now painted and based.
I write about it more on my blog (https://shipribstudio.wordpress.com/…/03/macedonia-finished/) but I'm taking a break from army-scale projects for a while. I've got some fantasy and sci-fi minis that I've been itching to paint for a while, and it's been a pleasant change painting one mini at a time.
However I'm already looking at options on how to expand the army, I think next will be the Antipatros option that can take four elephants and some Persian archers. Never painted elephants in 28mm before!
Allen Yaxley No Macedonian puddy 🐈 cats ?
  • Robert Curry Ha, I might have to see if I can fit a cat or two onto a base somewhere in the future. ;) I have got a couple of minis I'm planning on converting to Xena and Gabrielle, not sure where they're going either - mercenary hoplite general maybe?
    1
  • Allen Yaxley Robert Curry they all look fantastic. 
    Playing again soon ?
Russell Briant Awesome, inspirational, exceptional... and not just Aléxandros ho Mégas!
Alexander the Great, riding his horse Bucephalus and accompanied by his faithful dog Peritas. — with Alexander the Great.
The whole army! It's about 570 AP but I can't field it all at once - can maybe do around 550.
John van den Hoeven I think I can do over 600 points of Scots Isles,maybe we could do a 500 point game🤪

Alexander, two other mounted generals, and six elements of hetairoi. I've found them great if they hit and Alexander uses one of his brilliant strokes, in most other cases they are underwhelming. In a moderately-sized command that's given the high PIP die I'm usually able to get them where I want them though.
  • Dirk Heinsius Which manufacturer?
    Write a reply...
  • Vincent Cholewa David Kinzett used this option when we played Thebans vs Macedonians. Alex led a charge into a line of Sp(O) hoplites using a brilliant stroke for the charge. The entire front rank of hoplites was destroyed in the charge and the command was disheartened, then in my bound the hoplite command broke.

The blue taxis of pezhetairoi.
The yellow taxis of pezhetairoi.

Vincent Cholewa Joni Mitchell’s own taxi of pezhetairoi. Or the “Big Yellow Taxi”!

The pink taxis of pezhetairoi.
All three taxes of pezhetairoi. This is actually half the maximum that I can take in the Alexandrian Macedonian army, but I won't be rushing to paint up another 96 men even though it would be a very impressive sight.
Philip II and the Hypaspists - no, not a new folk band, but the elite Macedonian infantry. I umm and aahed about taking these as Pk (S) but after fielding them on the tabletop I'm very happy I went with the Ax (S) option. — with Philip II of Macedon. 

The Thessalian heavy cavalry. Quite like these guys on the tabletop, they're solid, reliable, and manoeuvrable.

The Macedonian prodromoi. It took a long time to find miniatures for these, I ended up cherry-picking out the unarmoured men from the hetairoi packs and had exactly enough.

Greek mercenaries. One thing I love about Hellenistic armies is that usually come with as many Ps (S) as you want! Reg Cv (I) ain't half-bad either and damn cheap for what it does.
Thracians! I'll die a happy man if I never have to paint another damn Thracian tunic or shield again. They look cool but my word do they take a long time to paint. Compared to other light infantry they took me probably 3-4 times as long to finish.



Agrianians, Alexander's crack team of mountaineers and rough-terrain troops.

Greek mercenary skirmishers, armed with bow or sling. These are the only troops in the entire army that I didn't have to attach a pointed metal stick of some sort to.

The trusty baggage. I had a lot of fun with this, though I did try to keep it reasonably serious and historically accurate.












No comments:

Post a Comment