Monday 13 July 2020

5th, 6th or 7th Edition, or older? Posted by Keith Trye, 8 July 2020

5th 6th and 7th edition. Those were the days
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1551024361723817/

  • Brendan Moyle I was a 7th Edition guy
    1
  • John Way A little 5th, scarred by one game of 6th, returned for 7th
    4
    • Josh Barton what was wrong with 6th?
    • John Way shrug. it was a loooooong time ago
      1
    • Tilman Dang Josh Barton 6th was very competitive in Europe and better rules knowledge (which was like learning the Bible by heart with so many rules hidden somewhere...) rendered your opponent a hapless target, quite frustrating to play 6th against an opponent who could use the rules like that to pelt you at will.
      3
    • Josh Barton Tilman Dang ah I get that it sounds a bit like Warhammer, which has become terrible for 'got'ya' moments of hidden or army-specific rules that can win a game if your opponent doesn't know about them.

      Glad DBMM isn't like that anymore then!
    • Alastair Donald With 6th, shooting was too powerful. For every 1/2 casualty per figure (in the unit) - so of you had a 16 figure unit, 8 casualties on the casualty table was a -1 on your fighting score, as I recall, and it accumulated. A lot of shooting hits led to you being unable to generate any casualties in the subsequent melee. My Spartans could be easily shot into ineffectiveness. Which was weird as they were Reg B Heavy Infantry with Shield!
Andrew Norrie I started with 7th edition back in the late '80s.
1
  • Ion A Dowman I think I still have two of those. Damned if I know why.
    1
  • Dave Madigan Think I played 2 games of 7th, hated it. Didn't play ancients again until DBM 2.1.
    1
    • Ion A Dowman I liked DBM concept, but got disgusted on account of all the faffing around with the rule sets, and the rules lawyerism. But the other problem with it is that it is very hard to find historical opponents. My 10th-11th Century Byzantines never got an historical opponent except another 10th-11th Century Byzantine.

      I enjoyed beating the crap out of Romans, though.
      1
  • Kenneth Chan I started with the FIFTH
    2

No comments:

Post a Comment