Saturday 16 February 2019

Valleycon - The Rise and fall of the Invincible Meshwesh. Poated by Dirk Heinsius, 30 January 2019

For ValleyCon this year I took Libyan Egyptians (725BC)
This is basically a morphing of my New Kingdom Egyptians, which gives them a bit more hitting power, and the ability to deal with terrain.
The army I chose at 400 AP was:
Egyptian Commander Reg Cv(S)c CinC 1
Egyptian Chariots Reg Cv(S)c 4
Egyptian Foot Reg Ax(O) 4
Egyptian Archers Reg Bw(I) 6
Invincible Meshwesh Irr Wb(S) 15
Army Baggage Irr Bg(I) 2
Egyptian Sub General Reg Cv(S)c SG 1
Egyptian Chariots Reg Cv(S)c 6
Egyptian Foot Reg Ax(O) 4
Egyptian Archers Reg Bw(I) 6
Nubian Archers Irr Ps(O) 6
Army Baggage Irr Bg(I) 2
Libu Ally General Reg Cv(S)c AG 1
Libu Warriors Irr Wb(F) 12
Libu Javelinmen Irr Ps(I) 24
Army Baggage Irr Bg(I) 2
Probably the only thing that I would change is that the Nubian Archers, would become Libu Archers, and would be incorporated into the massive Libu Psiloi hoard.
Game 1 - Craig - Assyrians 690 BC
This was probably the most difficult army for me to face in the competition, with lots of Kn(S) Chariots and supported Ax(S). I figured that the weak point would be the Cv(O) chariot supports, and that if I could take these out with a combination of judicious shooting and my own Cv(S) chariots, then I could roll up the superior knights with flank attacks.
I defended with a WW on my right and a BUA on my left so that the flanks were secure, which left Craig littitle option other than to come at me frontally. I deployed the Meshwesh in front of where I anticipated the Chariots would be, Bows to the left and right of them, with my Chariots behind the bow to support. (The bows are only I after all).
The Libu meanwhile had the job of holding the other flank and the BUA, and generally creating a nuisance.
Everything went according to plan. The Meshwesh withstood the massive knight charge Kn(S) general, with Bg(S) behind, hits you at 6, ouch! The bows and Cv(S) on the left did nasty things to Craig's Cv(O), whilst on my right the Libu sucked in the Mannian Ally command, and their Kn(O) general pursued rather too far into the Libu warband, and met his demise in fine fashion.
Unfortunately time was called before I could do any real damage to the Kn(S), so the Assyrians were still on the field. Two more bounds would have done it, but as it was I was left with a 13-12 draw.
Overall I was too slow. My target was the cavalry flank, tried to soften up with bow fire, but should have gone straight in with the chariots.
Game 2 - Che - Latin 360 BC
I was of course expecting to face a pike army in round 2, so I was pleasantly surprised to come up against Latins, Spear, Blade and Cv(O), all good stuff for the warbands. Alas once the terrain was down the Latins were safely deployed behind a river, that was of course difficult for foot.
This is where I made a huge mistake in not checking the rules. I assumed that it would be almost impossible to ford the river, in my mind I thought that I suffered a -2 and my opponent had a bonus for defending the bank.
Given my poor assumptions I hung back in the centre just bringing up some bows to take pot shots. On the left the Libu had numbers on the Latin Wb(F), so I attacked there and managed to get some Ps(I) across the river and onto the flank. The fight however expanded as these fights do, and entered the river, at which point I read the rules and found out that crossing the river wasn't such a big job after all.
Time to order a full on attack, except that a Latin flank march arrived on my right. Luckily the Cv(S) chariots could redeploy and deal with this, and the Meshwesh pushed across the river and started making a mess of the Latin blades.
Too little, too late, time was called, and I came away with a 15-10 result.
Lesson learnt, when in doubt, check the rules, especially for situations, which you don't run into very often (like rivers)

Game 3 - Phil - Marian Romans 70BC
Still no pikes, and I'm invading again, against real Romans this time.
Phil put down a huge 2FE marsh on my left, I suspect to shut down my chariots, deployed a huge Warband (O) in the centre, and a cavalry force, with some legionaries on my right. His remaining Legionaries and Auxilia were over on my left facing the marsh.
I deployed the Libu in the marsh to cover my left flank, (and interestingly enough they never moved in the entire game). The Meshwesh were in the centre, and the Chariots came out in force on my right.
The plan was simple, throw the chariots in as fast as possible Cv(S) vs Cv(O), was a no brainer, Meshwesh straight at the opposing warband, again S vs O, no hanging around here, and hold the Libu back ready to cover the flank of the Meshwesh if necessary, whilst the Egyptian Bows and Auxilia were to cover the gaps.
All in all it worked perfectly, my chariots rolled over the Roman Cavalry, and the Invincible Meshwesh, made a mess of the warband.
It's not often that the rules give you a pleasant surprise, but it was rather good the find that even though Wb don't get a QK on other Wb, they still kill them 2 deep.

Game 4 - Russell - Ptolemaic 38BC
Finally a Pike army, and I was the Invader. Looking forward to getting some good matchups, and following deployment everything looked good. The Meshwesh were facing off against pike, the chariots, and bows could take on the Kn(F) wedges, and the Libu could cover the flank, and maybe get into the Imitation Legionaries.
Then Russell made his first move and brilliantly redeployed his forces, and I ended up with Warbands facing the Kn(F) Wedges, the pikes were facing off and neutralising my chariots and bows, and the Libu Psiloi, were confronted with Auxilia uphill.
Herein lies the difference between NKE and Libyan Egyptians, NKE would have redeployed to match, however my army had too many irregulars and not enough pips, so it was time to go hell for leather and trust to the gods. A long hard fight ensued, but the gods were not in my favour, although I did manage to take 10% before the army collapsed.

I missed a few opportunities, because it slipped my mind that Kn(F) don't QK cavalry, not that it would have made a difference, and Russell got a very well deserved 23-2 win, to take the cup so to speak.
Many thanks to Allen for organising a fantastic comp, and that also the Craig, Che, Phil and Russell, for four great games.
Dirk.

Russell Briant Thanks Dirk Heinsius. Enjoyed the write up and insights.

Phillip Nash nice. WB & WB is frighteningly bloody!

Gary Collings Great write up thanks.

Chu Kwok Wah Thanks Dirk Heinsius your great report.

Chu Kwok Wah What miniatures for use with Invincible Meshwesh ? Essex ? Oldglory 15s ??


Kenneth Chan
 NZ uses 28mm

Denis Grey Any pictures of the Meshwesh? A friend here in the UK is trying to build a 15mm version of this army for L'Art de la Guerre.

Dirk Heinsius Denis Grey I wanted my Meshwesh to be clearly different from my Libu.


Dirk Heinsius So in 28mm I used Old Kingdom Egyptians, but with round shields. I felt that it gave a more civilized look (compared to the more traditional Libu) but still made them distinct from the Egyptian troops.

Denis Grey Thank you Dirk. The friend in question was Anthony Wesley and I see you have cut out the middle-man by replying to him directly on the ADLG page. 

Lovely figures (plus a photo-bombing Vincent Cholewa).

No comments:

Post a Comment