Thursday 15 November 2018

Ptolemaics in action at the Wairarapa Cup - Posted by Russell Briant, 13 October 2018

Photos from my games at Waicon last Saturday.
All but the last are from my Ptolemaics playing Russell Patton and his Burmese. The game ended with a 14-10 draw to Ptolemy. Not enough time spent in combat in this game.
Tried to emulate Peter Noble by manoeuvring but without his finesse.
The last photo is from my game v Neil Williamson and his Huns. Had I kept my right wing on the gentle hill the result may have been different but I surged forward and explored all the disadvantages of Fast Knights in wedge against massed superior light horse. And the rest they say, is history. Deprived Neil of 10% while losing both wings and conceding shortly before “time gentlemen “.


Beach side location with sea views for my baggage.
My left and Russell’s right

Spent too many turns shaking this impressive pike and blade block into formation. All the bits ended opposing the right targets but not with enough time to complete the job.
My right wing looking at lots of Burmese Cavalry (I) that they never closed with
The Superior Elephant Corps. Killed two of these in due course.

Face off in the dunes. Palm tree covers some writing on the back of the terrain.
Legionnaires manoeuvre....
Detail of the Antonine column manoeuvring rather than slicing up Burmese archers
Pikes creating a breach. Ain’t as many Nellies as there was a while ago. Russell rolled some inconvenient 1s from recollection.
Auxiliaries and cavalry engaged
The cavalry and auxiliaries manoeuvre
My left wing VS Neil Williamson. Had I but cooled my own impetuosity.

Having not got stuck in soon enough with Russell I made the error of fighting the last war when that wasn’t the right approach for this war.

A fault of better generals than me for eons.

Vincent Cholewa Nice pics and a very nice army 👍

Allen Yaxley
 Looking forward to day two. 
Get to take on those nasty Hun.


Vincent Cholewa
 They are at their most dangerous with the sun behind them ...


Allen Yaxley
 i thought that was the Japanese.🇯🇵
I saw those Huns snipping away at Alastair’s flanks. 😳Deadly beasties they be.😱


Vincent Cholewa
 Beware of the Hun in the sun.


Russell Briant Also. Check your six.
Dash useful for pips and in combat.

Pip pip (pip, pip, pip, pip - I think that’s all if the blighters)


Neil Williamson You'll hear our war song before you see us
Hunny Hunny, how you thrill me, a-ha, Hunny Hunny
Hunny Hunny, nearly kill me, a-ha, Hunny Hunny,

I'd heard about you before
I wanted to know some more
And now I know what they mean......


Allen Yaxley stop it . I haven’t thrown a dice and “ your killing me softly “

Neil Williamson So Allen, what army am I facing with my all singing all dancing Hun?

No comments:

Post a Comment