Saturday 19 November 2022

WOTR English (Yorkist) vs Medieval French - posted by Joel McNelly, 19 November 2022

My first full sized game of DBMM. I know all the cool kids play 28mm but we did 15mm. 

 
Today James Davies and I played my first full sized (300 point) game of DBMM.
I used WOTR English (Yorkist) vs his Medieval French.
I was the defender and deployed first. I was very surprised to see a small French command deployed to envelop my right flank.
I advanced with my centre to try to make it more difficult to envelop me but held back my left. I was desperately trying to redeploy my reserve of dismounted men at arms to prepare for the flank attack but was starved of pips ( I was running 2 commands one of which was an allied General so had no control of my pip dice).
It all seemed pretty bad until the French started throwing 1s for pips and couldn't halt the knights. The knights on my left charged through the bow then formed a column to try to get out of the way. I decided this was my chance and I attacked on my left flank with my allied command to try to catch the French knights out of order.
The French launched a cavalry charge into my dismounted men at arms and swept them away. However my longbows ripped the French archers and crossbow men to pieces all along the main battle line.
The French knights finally hit both my commands frontally and my battle line started to waver. I killed enough knights to break the French centre which in turn caused the French flanking command to break which gave me the game.
2 more kills on either of my commands would have broken my army so the game was increadibly close. I would have lost except for the French general being unable to keep the impetuous knights in check.
From someone who has played a lot of DBA 2 things stood out to me from this game.
1. I really like the difference in handling between regular and irregular troops. It provides interesting and realistic command challenges.
2. The rule book is so badly set out compared to DBA. It took us so long to find basic things.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2221017698057810/






    • Vincent Cholewa
      Admin
      Group expert
      Many thanks for your report, Joel, and great that you and James got to play. I agree with you, the rule book is difficult but the game you get on the tabletop is excellent. Most definitely worth persevering and don’t hesitate to ask questions here and make observations 😊
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 18h
      • Joel McNelly
        Author
        Vincent Cholewa oh we will be playing more. As we were discussing today during our breaks I feel the game is a better simulation than DBA and provides a much more satisfying simulation if you are prepared to invest the time.
        We will be sticking to DBA on a Friday nights while we unwind after a long week of work over a few beers however. DBMM is not a game for when your tired and your brain is fried🤣
        3
        • Like
        • Reply
        • Share
        • 18h
        • Edited
        • John Garvey
          Joel McNelly DBA is great, but DBMM gives an almost cinematic game with an incredible amount of replayability. My friend Doug says that games have a narrative. It’s a difficult game, but addictive….
          2
          • Like
          • Reply
          • Share
          • 15h
    • Joon Nak Choi
      Outside NZ 15mm is the much more common scale 🙂 Hope you had a great game!
      • Like
      • Reply
      • Share
      • 17h
    • Geoff Rothwell
      Not ALL the cool kids play 25s, Joel😉
      2
      • Like


No comments:

Post a Comment