Sunday 29 March 2020

Asterix illustrator Albert Uderzo has died - posted by Vince Cholewa, 25 March 2020

“Asterix illustrator Albert Uderzo has died at the age of 92, his family has announced.” 
Asterix the Legionary was the first Asterix book I read - my older brother gave it to as a Christmas present. Yes, I do have an Early Imperial Roman army. No, I must admit, I do not have a Gallic army.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1458047491021505/

Denis Grey As a DBA player, I have both. Although , as the book is set in the civil wars between Caesar and Pompey, should't that be a Marian Roman army? (Which I don't have.)
1
  • Vincent Cholewa Denis Grey yes, you are absolutely right, they should be Marian Roman. The equipment illustrated is classic Early Imperial. I wonder if there is an unintended comment here about “sources” and their use of what is, at their time, accepted as the popular view of their topic - in this case legionaries’ equipment.
  • Denis Grey Almost certainly, Vince.
    1
  • John Edmundson Vincent Cholewa And interestingly, lorica segmentata (which is an anachronistic term anyway) was not supplied to all legionaries and seems to have been supplied to some auxilia . . .
    1
  • Vincent Cholewa John Edmundson thank you. I did not know that
  • John Edmundson Vincent Cholewa I read about a site (in Britain I think) where it was found but all the evidence suggested it was an Auxilia garrison.
    1
  • John Edmundson Vincent Cholewa It makes an EIR potentially more interesting looking - some legionaries could be in the new kit while others would look like Marian period troops. And some of the Auxilia could have that variation too. I just wonder if my own brain could cope . . .
    1
Andrew Dengel I loved those books sooo much growing up
1
  • Andrew Norrie Andrew Dengel The library at Marlborough Boys' College had a large collection of Asterix books which many of us used to read during lunchtimes.
    1


No comments:

Post a Comment