Monday 18 March 2019

Early Imperial Roman equipment - posted by John Way, 13 March 2019

If I wanted to field Augustan period Early Imperial Roman could I just use my Ceasarian legionaries from my Marian army?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1159125137580410/

  • Russell Briant Yes. For two reasons.

    Proxys are invariably acceptable and in the early part of the empire under Augustus the kit was still more Marian than not.
    3
  • Vincent Cholewa I agree with Russell. I doubt equipment would have been replaced overnight - one year Marian next year EIR and their kit changed immediately? Probably not.
    1
  • Che Tibby evidence suggests that transition to different armour types wasn't uniform at any time in the roman period. you even had auxiliaries bringing their own armour along because they thought it was better...
    1
  • Vincent Cholewa Both Dr Adrian Goldsworthy and Phil Barker agree that there was little change in legionaries’ equipment during the 1st Century BC and that introduction of new styles of equipment did not mean the older styles were withdrawn. Even within a single unit equipment would likely have become mixed over time.
  • Che Tibby i'm even mixing italian armour types from across the 2nd and 3rd centuries BC. in this era steel was incredibly expensive. there's no way they'd even attempt to just trash all the old armour, too valuable if it's still working.
    1
  • John Way Thanks guys. So I can use my Warlord Cesarean legionaries (maybe with some shields cut down as per Barker). And I should do some equipment mix n match to de-regularise the look of the Auxilia. Lucky my use of plastics has left me a bounteous bits box...
    1
  • Kenneth Chan It really depends on the exact year you want to depict with your Marian figures. The lorica segmentata comes about in early to late first century AD and you could always argue that old equipment are still being and do not get replaced at the same time
    1
    • John Way I am thinking c 25-10BC, just as the Augustan reforms are getting established
      1
    • Kenneth Chan John Way , then it is perfectly ok for using Marian Roman figures
      2

No comments:

Post a Comment