Sunday 27 August 2023

Recoil! Thracians vs Ancient British and vs Middle Saxons- posted by Vince Cholewa, 27 August 2023

My second and third games at Recoil! were on variations of the same terrain but with my Thracians playing from opposite sides. Second was vs Graham Starkey (Ancient British) and third vs Alastair Duncan (Middle Saxon).
Graham uses the Ancient British light tank division, with all the warband replaced by chariots. However, I discovered they can still dismount as superior warband. Luckily, I spotted that during the first round before I played Graham.
Alastair’s Middle Saxons is just huge - it has so many elements! This was the first game in which I was the defender. Having the first bound was important and, luckily, I had been able to move a gentle hill on the Middle Saxon left flank onto my side of the table.
Recoil! is a DBMM 200 competition using preset terrain so we can more comfortably play three games in a day. The defender gets to choose sides and if the deployment dice are at least three different can move one piece of area terrain.
I finished the day with 51 points (two 14-11 draws and then a 23-2 win) - I will post game reports later. Thank you so much to my opponents, Paul Graham, Graham and Alastair, and to Neil Williamson for running the event.

The next three rounds are on Saturday, September 9, again at the Hutt Valley Wargaming Club. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2419310124895232/

Graham was the defender and is having the first bound. The fluffy base cloth sometimes caused dice to be cocked so we used the box lid as a dice table.

The terrain Graham and I played on. It was not changed after the deployment dice.

The terrain for my third game, this against Alastair. I
defended and was lucky enough to be able to move the gentle hill on the right side of the table (Alastair’s left flank) onto my side of the table.

Alastair, deeply-focused as the game approaches the crunch point.



No comments:

Post a Comment