Tuesday 6 June 2023

DBMM Nationals: Middle Imperial Romans vs Andalusians - posted by Russell Briant, 5 June 2023

Game three this weekend v organiser of players, Benny and his Andalusians.
This game ended in a 13 12 draw to me.

The game featured a lot manoeuvre with neither side particularly confident they had the tools to deal with the other. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/posts/2366114296881482/

Andalusian deployment. In the foreground is a difficult hill placed by Andrew which held up his attack on this flank, and he post match regretted placing there.

The largely regular Andalusian army had a front rank of light horse O, psiloi O. The second rank was cavalry O, Christian fast knights, a large group of Spear I.

To take the difficult terrain on each flank. The right flank had a combined arms Auxilia, and cavalry force. Out of sight more light horse.

The left flank had irregular Auxilia, Psiloi, and light horse.


My, Middle Roman army, deployment.

Andrew bending my left. Andalusian knights redeploy to their left to avoid the legionarii knight killing clubmen (who then followed them over, dulling their enthusiasm to become involved).


From the Roman perspective, my two cavalry in the line end up doing a Stirling job when the Andalusian cavalry charge arrived, killing several.


The beautiful Andalusian spear. Inferior, I think not. Did not feel like throwing them selves against the Praetorians.


Psiloi take control of the difficult hill that anchored my right.

Near game end.

My left flank is hanging on against the light horse hook. Sub general Repentalus did WAY more fighting than was wise or healthy, surviving several hard flank dramas.

In centre, I held on the left. The knights and spear declined to try their luck.

On my right, I held you up the hook through the hills.

A good game. Thanks Andrew.


  • Vincent Cholewa
    Admin
    Group expert
    +1
    Some days an honourable draw is the right outcome ðŸ˜Š
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 1d
  • Andrew Bennetts
    Russell Briant Thanks for a very interesting and challenging game. As you commented, Andalusians were short on tools to frontally assault you (Sp(I) into Bd(S) - I don’t think so) and that hill I foolishly placed, not to mention your staunch pair of Cv(O), slowed my outflanking manoeuvres to much. Andalusian General Staff are currently analysing data from the battlefield and tactical reform expected for next time ðŸ˜‰
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • Share
    • 21h
    • Russell Briant
      Author
      Top contributor
      Andrew Bennetts equally, I felt my left wing was just hanging in there and surviving on dice rolls, which, should that go wrong, I was ripe to be rolled up from there.
      Was pleased you seemed to lack the pips to allow the Aux in the small difficult hill to attack the hinge.


No comments:

Post a Comment