Tuesday 14 January 2020

DBMM 100, Spanish vs Andalusian - posted by John Edmundson, 12 January 2020

DBMM100 game with my stepson today, c1050AD, and a Spanish raid occurs into Andalusian territory. After delaying his attack from summer to autumn, the Spanish finally finished deploying at 4pm. I thought it would be easy when I saw the Spanish knights deployed heading towards their left.
Sadly it was not to be . . .
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/permalink/1397455633747358/

The armies prepare to debouch onto the field of battle
Initial deployment


The Spanish psiloi (mostly (I)) should be an easy target for my LH . . .
. . . who are more than ready to destroy (or capture) the slaves of the infidels.
Disconcertingly, the Spanish have come prepared with empty oxcarts.


The pride of Spanish cavalry think they can slip through to destroy the LH before my spearmen can arrive. The fools! What could possibly go wrong. Quite a bit actually. Killed by Ps(O), spent by Ps(I), killed by double-overlapped Kn, soon there are two left of the original six.

This Knight sandwich soon resulted in there being no LH left - 5 dead (+ one spent) and I am 1.5ME from disheartenment, So far I have killed zero (nada as my soon to be overlords would say . . .)

I am experimenting with one rank (more historically accurate) of supported Sp. Two ranks makes them too tough for the knights to risk. One rank and they might try it on. As they do, and the Sp stand admirably firm.
For a while . . . A knight breaks through my now disheartened Sp. (My general had been shot down by a stray (6-1) crossbow bolt from the inferior Bw. Not really focused on in these photos is the bold dash up the road by the Ps(S), who made it to the undefended Spanish camp just in time to become disheartened (Top left).





No comments:

Post a Comment